Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Imperial Postcards Help

Hi All,

Hope I'm in the right section for postcards? I found approx. 20 WWI Imperial postcards this weekend at an antique show from the same vendor and was wondering if anyone could help me identify the uniforms as to German, Austrian, Bavarian, etc..

I've only scanned 5 of the ones I think are most interesting. The others are of single posing soldiers, drinking buddies, soldier with wife, etc.. If anyone would like to see those, let me know and I'll scan them.

Regards,
    Gary

PC - 01 : With the saber, is he Cavalry? He also has knee length boots and a pouch strapped to his left shoulder? His helmet cover has H or R and 53.
    Attached Files

PC - 02: Are these officers, NCO or EM? Which country? Some seem to be decorated with the EC's?
    Attached Files

Comment

PC - 03: Wounded from which country?
      Attached Files

Comment

Is This Hermann?

Close up of the man in the center. Kind of looks like a young Hermann Goering? He appears to have tresse on his collars? NCO?
        Attached Files

Comment

More Wounded...

PC - 04: More wounded! Can you tell from their caps which country?
          Attached Files

Comment

...and more wounded!

PC - 05: And more wounded!
            Attached Files

Comment

GLM,

These are all Germans. The first being an a mounted artilleryman from the Reserve FAR Nr.53. The pouch is for an early gauze gas mask. The second group are cavalry NCOs.

Chip
              Last edited by Chip Minx; 09-05-2005, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Minx
                GLM,

These are all Germans. The first being an a mounted artilleryman from the Reserve FAR Nr.53. The pouch is for an early gauze gas mask. The second group are cavalry NCOs.

Chip
                Chip,

Thanks for the information these photos. I don't collect Imperial, so have a hard time determining from which country these soldiers came.

Can you tell me if the man sitting center in the close up on PC-03 is an officer or NCO? What type of hat is he wearing? Is it civilian or military?

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark approx. value on these types of PC's? I gave $35. for the stack of twenty I picked out of the vendor ladies pile. Did I get stung?

Regards,
                Gary

Comment

GLM,

The man you are referring to looks like an NCO. Officers were typically not billeted with the enlisted men, even in the hospital. The cap appears to be a civilian piece.

Run of the mill cards aren't worth much, as there are so many of them out there. Collectors are looking for pictures taken in the field, weapons, medals, insignia, cetain types of gear or equipment and so forth. Your first two cards might bring $5-$10 to the right person, the others would be tough to sell for more than a buck or two. On the other hand, a plain picture might have very interesting information on the back or some small feature that a first glance one might not detect.

Chip

Comment

You did ok. At $1.75 a postcard that's good. The first 2 postcards are the most collectable. They'd bring @ $10-20 on ebay as Chip said above.

Comment

Gary

The second picture of cavalry NCOs is of bavarian chevaulegers. There were eight regiments of chevaulegers. Also, the sitting NCO in your third picture is wearing litzen on his collar and cuff, indicating a guard unit.

Dave

Comment

All,

Thanks for the excellent information. Way too many different little things about Imperial uniforms I don't understand.

Dave - How is it possible to determine Bavarian on the NCO's? Is it just the cut of the uniform or possibly the decoration ribbon folds? I know from owning a few Austrian ribboned medals, theirs were triangular in shape, but I just didn't know on these soldiers.

Also forgot to ask if cancelled or written on with unit designations PC's affects the value? Some of the 20 photo cards have this writing in old German that I wouldn't even try to translate. Some also have unit stamps?

Would you guys be willing to look at some of the others and help me figure out which countries the men came from?

Again, thanks to all!

Gary

Comment

Gary

Here are a couple of things that distinguish these chaps as bavarian chevaulegers:

-Although they look similar to prussian,wurttemberg and saxon uhlan tunics, bavarian uhlans and chevaulegers utilize a double-breasted waffenrock with piping on one side only on the plastron and also a stand-and-fall collar.

-Aside from some piping differences on the rear of the tunic, the main difference between bavarian uhlans and bavarian chevaulegers are the cuffs; uhlans use the pointed polish cuff with a single button and chevaulegers use a swedish cuff with two horizontal buttons.

As for the affected value for writing and/or postal stampings with unit designations, I would much rather have them and would pay a little more if it provides more information for the subject. Also, I'm sure there would be great interest to try to identify any other pics that you want to share with us.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mosher
                            ... As for the affected value for writing and/or postal stampings with unit designations, I would much rather have them and would pay a little more if it provides more information for the subject. Also, I'm sure there would be great interest to try to identify any other pics that you want to share with us.

Hope this helps.

Dave
                            Hi Dave and all,

Thanks for explaining the differences in the uniforms. Very confusing subject for those who doen't collect Imperial.

I scanned the written reverses on two of the cards already shown and also scanned six more of the cards I acquired in this buy. The first scan is of the written reverse of PC-3 or the one with the sitting NCO. Second scan is of PC-4 or the one with the wounded posing outdoors. If you need closeups of images, writing or unit cancel stamps, please let me know.

Thanks again,
                            Gary

Reverse, PC-3
                            Attached Files

Comment

Reverse, PC-4
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X