Need info on ribbon bar ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on ribbon bar ribbon

I need some help from some more knowledgable Imperial members on a medal bar ribbon. I just received a large amount of Imperial/Third Reich medal bars and one seems to have something unusual that I'm hoping to get help on. Here is a scan of some of the bars. The one I have a question on is the one that is third from the top. The ribbon doesn't seem to match the award. The award appears to be a 3rd class Bavarian merit cross but the ribbon seems to be something else. From the outer edges going towards the center it has white borders followed by grey stripes, followed by white stripes with a black stripe in the center. Another member suggested this may be the ribbon for an NCO PLM. It is the bar that is next to last on the scan. Just wanted to get some feedback as this ribbon doesn't seem to match the award. Thanks for any help.
    Richard V
    Last edited by Richard; 07-04-2005, 09:53 PM.

Beamter!

Ribbon is correct for the MVK on the "Beamter" Ribbon. No worries there. Also, the bottom bar is correct without an Honor Cross as both WW1 awards could have been won by a civilian. Civilians were not entitled to receive an Honor Cross (excluding "Next of Kin" Crosses). Nice group of bars!

Comment

Rick, thanks for the info. Just to make sure I understand. The next to the bottom medal bar is OK with the awards correctly matched to the ribbons. Even though my cased 3rd class MVK's don't have the same color scheme (the ribbon there is - from the outside going to the center - white, blue, white with a black center stripe). The color scheme on this medal bar is totally different for the MVK but still correct? Do you have any idea what the second medal from the left is on the lowest medal bar? Unfortunately I've got to sell some of these for financial reasons and I'm trying to make sure I keep the ones that are the best.
      Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
        Do you have any idea what the second medal from the left is on the lowest medal bar?
        Ludwig Cross. Here is way more than you ever wanted to know about it, courtesy of Rick L
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=luitpold

Comment

Vadim, thank you ever so much for the link. Now I know what it is and some history behind it!
          Richard V

Comment

Actually, I am not 100% sure that this is a Beamter ribbon. Beamter is this:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...ad.php?t=13225

This one looks more like a Bavarian Military Merit medal, probably silver.
            Look at Dave's site:
            http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/bavaria.htm

Regards
            Chris

Comment

That's possible

Chris could be right at second glance. The edge stripes do seem off color, but it is difficult to tell with the way the ribbons are folded. Chris may very well be right here!

Comment

Thanks for the links Chris. It definitely is not a beamter ribbon. It looks very similar to the ribbon pictured for the Military Order of Maximilian Joseph from the link you supplied. I'll have to take a closer look at the ribbon when I get home tonight but it didn't seem to have a thick a black center as the Bavarian Military Merit medals pictured on the same link.

Richard V

Comment

Richard,
                  Military Max-Joseph order and Military Merit Medal have the same ribbon. It just looks different because of the folding.

Regards
                  Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'll take a look at the ribbon at home tonight. It may have the center stripe this thick but because of folding appears thinner.
                    Richard V

Comment

If it is...

Black center with greyish-blue side stripes it is the Max Josef Bravery Medal, probably silver. I do not believe that bar is an officer's bar. Nice find, but now you have to find a Bavarian SBM...... No easy task!

Comment

Ps!

Can we see some scans of the backs please?
                        Thanks!

Comment

Well Rick, the fun is in the hunt so the hunt is on. Any idea what one of these costs if I should run across one? I have no clue and would hate to get the shaft. Also, I assume the Bavarian MVK would never be found hanging from this ribbon and therefore is a replacement? Thanks for all the help so far. I'll try to get the backs scanned possibly tonight or tomorrow.
                          Richard V

Comment

The simple answer is, "a lot!" Rick was discussing this recently on another forum and noted he had seen a parade mounted SBM on a german auction site a couple of weeks ago. It sold for €1500. Definitely a big league medal!

Comment

ouch!
                              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X