Sturmtrupp badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T,

You have many more badges than I. I started collecting Austrian badges in a general way back in the late 1970s. I was lucky enough to find several at the Stuttgart Sammlerborse during that time. There were few fakes back then, so if you knew what to look for, you could find some nice pieces. My Sturmtrupp badges are the most common varieties. Unfortunately, nothing rare.

Gregory,
    The dragons are collar devices for machine gun troops, while the insignia at the top of the photo are machine gunner's cap badges. Neither have anything on the back side as they were meant to be sewn on.

Comment

One more.

And the maker marks on the reverse.

Comment

Nice stuff Chip,
        Classic ST abzeichen!!!
        I do not think the one with the 3 heads dragon is a Sturmtruppenabzeichen.
        If you'll ever sell the Gurschner one (with G on the bottom) please let me know cause as shown I collect as many as I can.

If anybody out there needs help with ST badges or ST fakes check
        www.blitzkriegmilitaria-forum.com
        We got a lot of badges over there...english spoken dont worry!

Cheers
        T

Comment

Beatiful pieces Chip!!
          Yes the dragoon with 3 heads are for the maching gun crew, was used on the collor tabs, the cap badge of machine gunner was used on the right side of the feldkappe.
          Interesting the two models of this badge in brass and in zink kriegmetal too.
          The brass was used in the first times of the war so then come the ersazts badges in kriegmetal.
          collar tab badges exixt in alluminium too.
          Sturmtroops not used specifical badges because they come from every speciality of the Imperial Army, after the first exercitation in a camp on the rear of the front of the low Isonzo Front (slovenian Carso) was introduced the generic assalt badge, (Gurschner model) infact few of this are find from battlefield in the zone near Triest.
          ST used a different equipment from the normal infantery reggiment, this equimpent was very light only for assault actions. Into a ST baon was a MG, stokes and pioneer section.
          Good Gurschners Drappo!!!

Comment

There are a few more you can see on my website :

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/ut...opinsignia.htm

This was a contribution from a collector, I'm not an expert in these unfortunalty, but they are high on my wants list

JS
            http://germanuniformsandequipment.co.nr

Comment

T.,

Can you tell me anything about the Hungarian inscription around the boarder of the round badge with the soldier swinging the trench club at the dragon? I have no way to translate Hungarian and have always wondered what it says.

Chip

Comment

Hi Chip,

That badge belongs to the 4th Hungarian Infanterie Regiment: the inscription means "4th Hungarian Infanterie Regiment - World War 1914-15-16 - M.Kir (place where they fought)".

Comment

T.,

I understand that the badge is from the 4.Honved I.R. Why did you include it in the picture with your Sturmtruppabzeichen?

Chip

Comment

As you know the Trench Club was used mostly by the Sturmtrupp then actually that is not a proper ST badge but a ST related badge since there were for sure Sturmtruppen guys from 4.HIR that used that badge (and the trench club as well ).

There are 3 kappenabzeichen only depicting the trench club:the 4.HIR, 20.HIR and the IV-1916.
                    The Trench club, Sturmmesser and Steirbruck Graz knuckleduster were some of the "status symbol" weapons used by the Sturmtruppen.

cheers
                    t

Comment

Have you seen the clubs with the wooden handle, spring shaft and morning star type mace head? I have one of those. I have seen them at the museum at Rovereto.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
                        Have you seen the clubs with the wooden handle, spring shaft and morning star type mace head? I have one of those. I have seen them at the museum at Rovereto.

Chip
                        Hi my friend,

I've got several type of Trench club, just please post a picture of yours and I will try to help you.
                        Actually Morning Star/Morgensterne is a middle ages description since the morgensterne is the "Chain and nailed ball" type and there were not such AU trench clubs.
                        Do you mean this one?
                        We refer as this TC as "Coppered-like with screwed nails".
                        There is a similar type called "5 or 6 plaques" but the body is formed by 5 or 6 plaques screwed straight to the wooden handle.

Hope it helps.
                        T
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Drapeau Noir; 04-30-2007, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Wow! That is an extremely nice club. My example is packed away and I will not be able to get to it until this coming weekend. In the meantime, here is another storm troop related item you might be familiar with.

Comment

And the inside.

Comment

Chip,

This is a Farina, not an AU Sturmtruppe helmet but an Italian's Arditi one.
                              Quite nice I would say!

Is the one depicted on the picture the same of your TC?

Cheers
                              T

Comment

Originally posted by Drapeau Noir View Post
                                Is the one depicted on the picture the same of your TC?
                                T,

I am not sure what you mean by this. What is TC?

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X