No announcement yet.

DRK Cloth Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you HPL for posting the belt,much appreciated.
    All the best,
    Kees

Comment

Gentlemen,

Time to show the other two DRK M43 style caps in my collection. This one looks very much like a BW cap. It was even made by one of the makers of BW caps. However, this cap was obviously made as a DRK cap since the cap badge was installed in the cap before the lining was sewn into place. Instead if pinned into place like other caps shown on this thread this cap badge is firmly attached through the material of the cap. The silver, metallic trim around the crown is also of interest.
      Attached Files

Comment

The next cap up is the same in design except that the crown has gold metallic piping. All three of these caps have functioning turn down flaps. They are also considerably different in colour. That is indicated by the picture showing all three caps. However, the picture doesn't really show the colour difference as much as they are different in colour when you hold them in your hand.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

Silver cap piping was worn both on the service cap and the sidecap by unit-/county-level leaders, gold by leaders on district level and above.

These duty positions were also authorized the silver- and gold trade badge piping mentioned in post no. 6. Those authorized the gold cap-/badge piping also wore gold cap- and tunic buttons as well as gold collar patch piping.
          Last edited by HPL2008; 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Speaking of such distinctions, a new model of cap badge was created for the blue beret that was introduced as an alternative to the sidecap during the mid-1990s.

Higher-level leaders wore the badge in gold, all other personnel in silver. Both are shown below, together with the standard cap badge as worn on the service cap and sidecap for comparison.

This new cap badge is also worn on the peaked service cap that is part of the new-model uniform introduced ca. 2014. (No cap was worn with the service dress that replaced the old grey uniform and which, in turn, is now being replaced by the latest one.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by HPL2008; 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

The cap posted in post 44 also exists with the grey piping like the grey piping found on early wool grey trousers.
              I found a whole stack the other day.

Kees

Comment

Kees,

Interesting addition to the thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Just a few more additions.

These are the three latest Fachdienstabzeichen [trade badges] introduced after 2000. Unlike the badges shown in post # 6, they only come in the large, velcro-backed version.

They are, from left to right: Psychosoziale Notfallversorgung (PSNV) [Psychosocial Emergency Care], Suchdienst [Tracing Service] and the Rettungshundestaffeln [Rescue Dog Squads].
                  Attached Files

Comment

These are Fachkraftabzeichen [Badges for Qualified Personnel], which indicate the wearer's specific level of medical training and, in some cases, function.

Which ones are officially authorized is slightly different between the various state-level organisations, and in addition to those, a number of unofficial badges are commercially available as well, making for dozens of different badges, ranging from Ersthelfer [a person trained in basic first aid] to Leitender Notarzt [Chief Emergency Physician].

They come in embroidered and woven versions and with or without velcro backing.

Just a few examples:
                    Attached Files

Comment

A little excursion into a somewhat specialized issue:

I've had an interesting e-mail exchange with Kees on the subject of the possible post-war wear of DRK armbands of the Third Reich-era pattern with Gothic-lettering "Deutsches / Rotes Kreuz" around the Red Cross emblem. He felt that these were still worn in the FRG, as he had come across them several times in the pockets of post-war DRK uniforms.

Offhand, I would have assumed that such armbands were no longer worn in the post-war years as I had only ever seen them in pre-1945 photographs and am generally not aware of any other post-war DRK badges/insignia/gear using the old Gothic font in their design.

However, I did a little online research and found that this pattern of armband was actually worn in the DRK's early post-war period (following its re-founding in 1950) as well; more specifically, I found pictures of two DRK men photographed wth chancellor Adenauer in 1955, which can be seen here:

https://www.alamy.de/stockfoto-1955-...-90912291.html

https://www.bild-video-ton.ch/bestan..._F_5039-Fb-206

This leaves the question whether these armbands were old existing stocks that were still being worn out or if they were actually still manufactured in the post-war period. Kees feels the latter to be possible, as there are slight differences between the various specimens, including UV glow. Also, this could mean that post-war made ones are being sold as wartime pieces.

I will post some pictures he sent me and will leave him to add any further comments on these armbands:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by HPL2008; 03-16-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

More:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again HPL for posting the pictures.
                          I always assumed that as long as the dark grey wool uniform with the grey piped trousers was in use,these armbands were worn and produced.
                          Because those are the uniforms these 3 armbands came with.
                          Two of them could pass as wartime but the one that glows under blacklight has far less defined lettering (note the Z from kreuz) and that's often a sign for non wartime manufacturing.
                          Plus the fact I had more like these over the years and none had any markings in the form of a control stamp or such.
                          Maybe the ones that don't glow were old stock not handed out until after the war,but if all three are postwar,people that have one should consider they may not have a TR item.
                          One thing is sure; these are not reproductions to fool anyone,they were actually used by DRK members over half a century ago.
                          There are a few wartime DRK collectors member here on the forum who hopefully can give their insight as well.
                          All the best,
                          Kees

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for this excursion into the early post war years of the DRK. I don't doubt that TR era DRK armbands were worn in the early post war years. I know, from my own research, that TR era postal visor caps were worn in the early post war years. Everything was scarce for some time following the end of WWII.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Here's an older sidecap I recently purchased off eBay.

I initially thought this might be the type of cap worn with the work/field uniform shown by Gordon in posts # 18/19, but upon a closer look, the colors don't seem to match.

That uniform appears to be of a dark bluish-grey, whereas the cap is of the dark charcoal-grey color seen on the earliest service uniforms. (The shade is darker than it appears in these photographs.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Another little update.

I recently purchased some more of the duty position insignia with branch color (see post # 36). Red is for Führungsdienst (leadership- /command service):
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X