DRK Cloth Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRK Cloth Insignia

Today, I would like to show some examples of cloth insignia of the post-war Deutsches Rotes Kreuz [German Red Cross] in the FRG. I have a modest collection of DRK-related items from various periods as find the subject interesting, partially because I was a DRK member myself from 1990 to 2007.

I really don't know if this is of much interest to the community here, but if there are other collectors of DRK-related material, they are welcome to contribute to this thread.

I have kept the descriptions brief, but I will be happy to answer any questions about these items (provided I know the answer ).

Various basic DRK patches.

The machine-woven, washable specimens are for wear with a variety of shirts, blouses, EMS-, work- and field uniforms. The specimens in metallic thread are for service dress. The types with gold/yellow lettering are older models; the ones with black lettering later ones.

Seen in the last photo are obsolete patches of the Bayerisches Rotes Kreuz (BRK); these were replaced by the standard DRK pattern long ago.
    Attached Files

Comment

Two unofficial patches of the BRK. On the left is a very widespread EMS patch, on the right a patch for a volunteer unit from Oberstdorf. There are many such unofficial and semi-official patches.
      Attached Files

Comment

Some armbands for a physician [Arzt], on-scene manager [Einsatzleiter] and the mountain rescue service [Bergwacht].
        Attached Files

Comment

Various cuff titles, worn on the lower right sleeve. Specimens in metallic thread are for the grey- and later dark blue service dress, specimens in white/yellow thread are for wear on the old-model grey Einsatzanzug [work-/field uniform].
          Attached Files

Comment

There is a variety of Fachdienstabzeichen [trade badges] of which there are, in turn, different varieties. To illustrate these, here is the trade badge for the Sanitätsdienst [medical service].

First photo: The patches in the top row are embroidered in metallic thread on felt-like material and are for wear with service dress; the ones in the bottom row are embroidered in white thread on twill-like material for wear on the old-model Einsatzanzug. The unpiped patch is the actual qualification patch, the aluminum cord denotes unit-level leaders, the gold cord leaders on district level and above.

Second photo: On the left, a large-size (80 mm) velcro-backed patch for wear on the red jacket of the new-model Einsatzanzug, on the right one patch form the first photo (55 mm) for scale reference.
            Attached Files

Comment

The various trade badges. I have only shown the basic badge in the service dress version of each one.

Top row: Sanitätsdienst [medical service], Pflegehilfsdienst [auxiliary nursing service], Fernmeldedienst/Information und Kommunikation [signals service/information and communication], Technischer Dienst/Technik und Sicherheit [technical service/engineering and safety].
              Second row: Transportdienst [transport service] (obsolete), Verpflegungsdienst [provisioning service], Unterkunftsdienst [shelter service] (obsolete), Betreuungsdienst/Soziale Betreuung und Unterkunft [care service/social care and shelter].
              Bottom: Strahlenschutzdienst/ABC-Dienst [radiation protection service/NBC service] (obsolete).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by HPL2008; 02-23-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Collar patches for wear on the grey service dress.

On the left, a very old model with metal duty position insignia for a Gruppenführer; duty postion insignia were later moved to the sleeve.

Higher-level leaders had gold piping.
                Attached Files

Comment

Collar patches and sleeve badge for a physician.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Woven collar patches for a long-obsolete model of work uniform, in finished and unfinished form.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Duty position insignia. The system of duty position designations and -insignia was completely revised in the mid-1990s and the base color of the badges changed from grey to black as the grey service dress was replaced by the dark blue one.

Again, I will provide just one level of these badge as an example for the different variants they came in.

Top row: Insignia for wear on the blue service shirt and on the grey field jacket and parka of the old-model Einsatzanzug. These are four sew-on variants in chronological order and a shoulder board slip-on. The first (oldest) model is woven, all others are embroidered.

Bottom row: Embroidered in metallic thread for wear with the grey (left) and dark blue (right) service dress.

(A single silver chevron within a silver rectangle originally designated a Truppführer and, after the revision, a unit-level Fachgruppenleiter or Jugendgruppenleiter.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by HPL2008; 02-23-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

A finished and an unfinished example of the shoulder board slip-ons:
                        Attached Files

Comment

And the last contribution for now, the full range of duty position insignia as worn until the mid-1990s (I won't bother you with the full list of designations):
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by HPL2008; 02-23-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

"...modest..."? That's an excellent assortment of DRK insignia, thanks for sharing! I'll save this thread for further reference.

PK

Comment

HPL2008,

Excellent thread and great for reference purposes. Like PK I'll need to save this for future reference purposes.
                              A few weeks ago, Nico asked a question about DRK collar tabs with embroidered red crosses. No one had seen any until this thread of yours.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X