Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ledertasche for BW or LW use?. Help needed

Hello gentlemen.

I´ve got this leather bag from a relative who was profesional military in the Spanish Army since 50 decade. He got the rank of Lt. Colonel.

As military collector, he gave me some military equipment of his own. This was one of these stuff.

In those years, in Spain there were a lot of German military material from Spanish Civil War and 1943 supply agreement with Germany to improve Spanish Armed forces, known as "Plan BÄR".

Searching on internet I´ve found several sources that show similar bags from WW2, for Luftwaffe pilot´s use. I´m skeptical because the unique documented leather bag I saw is shown in this thread, but photos of WW2 LW officers wearing the bags are there...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=briefcase

In my opinión could be of postwar military use, due to the two dessicant compound bags that where inside , with MIL specifications.

You can see the images of my bag by clicking this link to my onedrive.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ala6QgzwZ1PHhRDTK4Ug5wDheLGt

As I say in title... "Help needed"

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

César.

César.

Your bag is very different from the one in the WWII Luftwaffe thread. The LW one is for a pilot/navigator and contains his plotting instruments. What you have appears to be a leather briefcase. With out any markings in your case it would be difficult to tell if it is for military or civilian use. Sorry that I can not add any more to the thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Hello Gordon.

Thanks for your really fast answer.

I know that my bag is different from the one shown in thread as I said in my post, but there are some leather briefcases that appears from time to time in ebay that are quite similar to mine. You can see that in the left image from description of a briefcase sold recently on ebay, (please, see the link http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1466602118060.)
      it appears one líke mine with different flap keylock that seems to have four notches to close the briefcase with more or less things inside.

I will wait your opinión.

Best regards from Spain

César.

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
      César.

Your bag is very different from the one in the WWII Luftwaffe thread. The LW one is for a pilot/navigator and contains his plotting instruments. What you have appears to be a leather briefcase. With out any markings in your case it would be difficult to tell if it is for military or civilian use. Sorry that I can not add any more to the thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

César,

An interesting thread with a number of different briefcases shown in the pictures. I don't remember ever having a discussion on this forum about post war briefcases and I am not very knowledgeable in this area. Particularly in comparing them with war time ones. In most pictures that I have seen there is no way of telling whether the briefcase is an issue one or a civilian one. All that I can do is direct you to this thread which definitely shows a WWII Luftwaffe briefcase. I'll do a little more research and see what I can find.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=633698

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

My first instinct when I saw the pictures was "civilian". Or at the very least, not German military.

Civilian stuff is in use by military all over the world, especially by officers or in countries with less capacity to produce highly specialized military items in small quantities. Over many decades veterans can forget or not even know about the differences between the item's origins.

Steve

Comment

Hello Steve.

Thanks for your info.

It is true what you say. Not much time ago there were items made for officers from civilian makers, usually with better quality than regulatory ones but acepted for service.

Not only with uniforms. There were also weapons as sidearms. So it is not strange to see military with other civilian items.

The only link with military are the two bags with dessicant compound with MIL standards and that it was used by one of my wife's relative that was Lt. Colonel.

I must agree with you in your opinion, a civilian ítem with military role that spread its use over the officers líke a fashion...

I have saw similar things with other civilian ítems use by military along my service years, líke backpacks, lanterns, isolation carpets, sunglasses, GPS, portable stoves and of course... military items from other foreign armies.

Well, thread will go on there... perhaps there will be someone to give me an identification.

Best regards from Spain.

César.

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
            My first instinct when I saw the pictures was "civilian". Or at the very least, not German military.

Civilian stuff is in use by military all over the world, especially by officers or in countries with less capacity to produce highly specialized military items in small quantities. Over many decades veterans can forget or not even know about the differences between the item's origins.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X