Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS Ski troops uniforms

Gentlemen,

I am seeking info on BGS Ski troops. Were there special ski units? If not, were all BGS personnel trained to ski or just those in an area where this mode of transportation would be useful?
    What equipment did they use? Skis procured specifically for use by the BGS or regular civilian skis? Same question goes for the boots, poles, backpacks etc.
    I only have two small pictures of BGS ski troops Reinhard Scholzen's book "Der BGS Geschichte der Bundespolizei" so I would appreciate any pictures that you would be willing to share.
    My interest in this topic came about due to an agreement to purchase a set of BGS ski pants. The ski pants are dated 1974 and I picked out a tunic dated the same year to go with them. Unfortunately, the tunic is stripped of insignia and it will be a job getting replacement pieces that look the same age to resurrect the tunic to its former glory. The tunic and ski pants appear to have come out of a tailor shop as the labels to adjust the tunic to the owner are still present so it was unworn after tailoring. Here are some pictures of the tunic and the ski pants.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

#2,
    Attached Files

Comment

#3,
      Attached Files

Comment

#4,
        Attached Files

Comment

Gordon

I believe the ski training took place at Kuhrointhaus. I know I have the badge in my collection.

Andrew

Comment

Gordon,

I can't help you with the BGS ski troops but I have one for the WWII period Gendarmerie. They had a specific cut for their trousers and tunic. The tunic was cut in the general style of the standard Gendarmerie tunic but it had specific ski jacket features. The cuffs buttoned and closed and the back cut was different. Also, there was a drawstring waist, all to cut down on wind intrusion. I suspect the BGS ski jacket would be similar.

I hope this is helpful.

Comment

Andrew,

Thanks. Would you be willing to post that badge here?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
                Gordon,

I can't help you with the BGS ski troops but I have one for the WWII period Gendarmerie. They had a specific cut for their trousers and tunic. The tunic was cut in the general style of the standard Gendarmerie tunic but it had specific ski jacket features. The cuffs buttoned and closed and the back cut was different. Also, there was a drawstring waist, all to cut down on wind intrusion. I suspect the BGS ski jacket would be similar.

I hope this is helpful.
                George,

Interesting info on the WWII Gendarmerie. As I mentioned earlier I only have two reference pictures for BGS ski troops and they don't help a lot with the tunic. One dates from ski training in 1950s where the standard uniform of the time was worn. The second one shows ski troops wearing the summer camo coats with a leather belt to provide closure against the wind.

Regards,

Gordon
                Attached Files

Comment

Gordon

Kind of small, but I guess it will do. This is the only ski specific one that I know of.

That being said, I do know that the insignia for the Sport Schule in Emden also has skiers depicted on them.

In addition to the Bergfuhrer insignia which also has skies depicted behind the edelweiss

Comment

Andrew,

Thanks for the picture. Here is one that I found on auction with the caption "344 BGS Verbandabzeichen Gergausbildung Kuhrointhaus".
                    Also, a link to a BGS thread at the mountain school with some really interesting photos.

http://www.beim-alten-bgs.de/Zu_den_...rointhaus.html

Regards,

Gordon
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gordon

Yes, that is the one I have in my collection. I had mine pre-divorce,

...........so it dates back to the early 90's. The verbandsabzeichen are nice to collect, but you turn off the light and they multiple like rabbits...... They are coming out with a ton of new Bundespolizei ones, along with a lot more patches.

The website was great, I have seen a few of these "career" websites and they are fantastic from a collectors perspective. A behind the scenes look as you will. Loved the photo of the DDR NVA soldier aiming his gun at the BGS guys. Lost history !!

Comment

Gordon;
                        I don't think these trousers are suitable for outdoor winter activities as skiing.
                        On my favorite BGS website the exact trousers are described as hose grenzschutz fliegerstaffel.
                        Here's the link;

http://www.hotdogandsodacompany.de/h...insatzanzüge/

It's a large webpage and the trousers are way down below there.
                        The person running this site seems pretty knowledgeable.
                        All the best,
                        Kees

Comment

I would expect that by 1974 (when these particular garments were produced) that this uniform would be unlikely to be worn as a field uniform. The Keilhose pattern would be largely a traditional item rather than functional. Similar to the uniform worn by BW Gebirgsjäger.

Comment

Originally posted by chiffonnier View Post
                            Gordon;
                            I don't think these trousers are suitable for outdoor winter activities as skiing.
                            On my favorite BGS website the exact trousers are described as hose grenzschutz fliegerstaffel.
                            Here's the link;

http://www.hotdogandsodacompany.de/h...insatzanzüge/

It's a large webpage and the trousers are way down below there.
                            The person running this site seems pretty knowledgeable.
                            All the best,
                            Kees
                            Kees,

Interesting site and the owner of the site certainly has a large BGS collection. I'll have to study the ski type pants he has pictured there further. I have never seen ski type pants worn in any pictures I have of the BGS Fliegerstaffel. They always seem to be wearing normal trousers. The ski pants pictured on the site appear to be lighter green which would make them of a later vintage than the ones on the thread. I do have a green pair of ski pants similar to the ones on the BGS site but they have a civilian label and are probably for polizei.
                            In any event, if they turn out to be for BGS-Fliegerstaffel that would be fine to as I need both types for my collection.

Sprogcollector,

An interesting point and one worth considering. BGS troopers seem to have worn their service uniforms in activities that those of us in North America would find very unusual. The picture I posted of the BGS guys on skis is one example of this.

Regards,

Gordon
                            Last edited by Gordon Craig; 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Kees,

I translated the German text in the link you sent which talks about the Fliegerkombie. That is the text directly above the flying jacket and ski pants the web site lists as worn by the BGS fliegerstaffel. The wear of a fliegerkombie would be more in line with what I would expect a flight crew to wear instead of tight ski pants. Here is the English translation of the German text. I didn't clean it up n anyway. This just what the translation program spit out.

Regards,

Gordon

The flyer's Overalls is made of very lightweight material and equal on average the suits used by the Bundeswehr. The flyer wagon features various bags, which can be closed with zippers. Is still a kind of amplification in the shoulder area. The pen pockets are also slightly padded. The Fliegerkombe continues to have a leg bag to the recording of the Kappmessers. Unlike the Bundeswehr the flyer wagon used in the Federal Border Guard has combinations right and left in addition sewn belt coupling ends at waist level. They are thought the Holster for the run for the Federal border guard service pistol P 6 of SIG record Sauer. The unit badge, here that the GS Squadron East by means of Velcro attached. The shoulders will be aufgeschlauft like in the other suits of usage.

I am not saying the chap on the web site is wrong but I would like some more substantiation that the BGS Fliegerstaffel wore ski pants when the fliegerkombe would seem so much more appropriate.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X