OTL Hans Suhr photos c. 1957 - 1969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
    In this group photo, Suhr can hardly be seen. He is located in the second row from the rear, partially obscured, under the elbow of the lion.
    Speaking of lions, does anyone know what this one represents? It appears to be licking a skeleton key or flag.

The photo was processed by a shop in Bremen-Blumenthal.
    What a great lot! I'll try to answer some of your questions. The complete coat of arms of Bremen consits of two lions flanking a red shield with a key; obviously a "modern art variant" of this emblem.

Regards

Lars

Comment

Man what a party!

From what I can tell he is assigned to the "4. Transport - kunz - lehrgang".

TJ
      My guess is: "4. Transport Kurz-Lehrgang" (4th Transportation short time course) I don't know the exact translation but the term Kurz-Lehrgänge is widely used in the Bw for short time courses lasting less than a week e.g.
      Last edited by Proud Kraut; 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

This photo was duplicated. Note the slightly different information and name spellings on the backs of the pictures.

Can anyone decipher the second line immediately below?
        "...im Soldatenheim Wolfhagen, 6. Okt. 1968" (Soldiers club Wolfhagen...) Wolfhagen was the garrison of a Panzerbataillon as far as I remember "Die Wölfe"...

Comment

We've finally arrived to 1969. I'm just a wee lad of six years old.

OTL Suhr is being congratulated by a Major Von Gieitersheim of the 12.Panzerdivision.

Change of command? Retirement ceremony?

Is OTL Suhr wearing a paradehelm?

Hmmmm, a Major congratulates an Oberstleutnant during such a ceremony??? Could it be a Brigadegeneral? Regarding the script, I would guess the name is "von Wietersheim" and he handed over command to Suhr or pensioned Suhr off. Please check the www if there was a Brigadegeneral with this name in the Bw then.
          Last edited by Proud Kraut; 12-09-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Most likely OTL Suhr spent some time with the Panzerbataillon 54. That would explain the light colored Kragenspiegel.
            http://www.panzertruppe.com/pzbtle/p...pzbtl054_1.htm

PzBtl 54 was the Traditionsverband of WH PzRgt 15

I don't know if he was the BtlKdr, maybe he serverd with the Bn as the S4 Stabsoffizier? (Transportation Course). In this case the ceremony pictures post # 34-36 are most likely taken at a retirement ceremony. Much fun those investigations....
            Last edited by Proud Kraut; 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

LuckyStrike23, Arthur Spooner, and ProudKraut,

Vielen dank!

I appreciate very much the time you took too provide so much information.

My knowledge of OTL Suhr has doubled overnight.

I will now spend some time following the leads you provided.

I did find a Brigadegeneral Sigvard Edgar Georg von Wietersheim. It does make much more sense that a general would see off an Oberstleutnant instead of a Major.

I'm wondering now if Suhr was a World War II veteran. He was certainly old enough and many of his associates were veterans. Can we safely establish that he was a panzer officer?

Thanks again for looking and for providing so much information.

All the best,
              TJ

Comment

What I learned today is, that the forerunner of the Maintenance School was garrisoned in Sonthofen 1956 - 1964.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technis...C3%BCr_Technik

Referring to the darker Kragenspiegel Suhr obviously "grew up" in the Maintenance or Logistics branch. Rather unusual to become Battalion Commander of a Panzerbataillon (but possible in theory!). My guess is, that S. served as a S4 Stabsoffizier (Logistics) or Technischer Stabsoffizier with PzBtl 54. If he would have been Bataillonskommandeur, there would be tons of more (and different) pictures in that estate.

Comment

We've finally arrived to 1969. I'm just a wee lad of six years old.

OTL Suhr is being congratulated by a Major Von Gieitersheim of the 12.Panzerdivision.

Change of command? Retirement ceremony?

Is OTL Suhr wearing a paradehelm?
                  TJ,

This could be a parade helmet. Hard to tell from the photo. There were two different finishes on the parade helmets. A dull finish and a shinny finish. If this is a parade helmet it would be the one with the dull finish.
                  The parade helmet had a very distinctive set of pins that held the liner in place. Unfortunately, the picture isn't clear enough to display these on the helmet.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks Gordon.

Unfortunately, the original print isn't that clear either.

All the best,
                    TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X