Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTL Hans Suhr photos c. 1957 - 1969

Kamaraden,

Sometime ago I acquired a photo archive recording the career of Hans Suhr as he progressed from Captain to Lieutenant Colonel in the Bundeswehr during the years spanning 1957 to 1969.

Some of these photos have been posted before in a somewhat haphazard fashion.

I've decided to present them now in what I think is a chronological progression.

As always, I'm eager to learn whatever I can about these photos and look forward to tapping the infinite font of knowledge that only the experten on the BRD forum can provide.

We'll begin with a party photo. Suhr is seated at the far right. I can't see his rank, but he appears to be wearing at least one pip on the epaulette of his early double-breasted tunic.

As we progress, we'll see him age and his hair fade from black to gray.

TJ
    Attached Files

In this group photo, Suhr can hardly be seen. He is located in the second row from the rear, partially obscured, under the elbow of the lion.

Speaking of lions, does anyone know what this one represents? It appears to be licking a skeleton key or flag.

Note the two officers wearing single-breasted tunics in the second row from the front on the far right.

Note too, the two U.S. officers seated in the front row. Under magnification, the U.S. officer on the right can seen to be wearing a combat infantryman's badge and the ribbon for the Silver Star medal. I can also make-out an Occupation Medal and what appear to be ribbons for Korean War service. It's tough to tell if he's wearing infantry crossed rifles or armor crossed sabers as his branch insignia.

The photo was processed by a shop in Bremen-Blumenthal.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here we see Suhr at another party. His Hauptmann's rank is very clear in this photo.

No offense to Captain Suhr, but in this photo he reminds me a little bit of Rudolf Hess.
      Attached Files

Comment

Another shot of Suhr at the party.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here he is again.
          Attached Files

Comment

This gentleman can also be seen in the first photo in this thread.
            Attached Files

Comment

Back to the party; two majors puffing on stogies.
              Attached Files

Comment

In the previous photo, we saw two majors smoking away in front of a boldly patterned curtain.

We can see a bit of that curtain here.

What is interesting to note however, is that these two officers, unlike the ones in the previous photo, are wearing American style branch insignia denoting the Ordnance branch. Everyone else has collar litzen.

As far as I can tell, the pictures were taken at the same event.

From what I understand, the U.S. style branch insignia was phased out before the end of 1956.
                Attached Files

Comment

Still more party photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And another...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another shot of this gala event.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here we see one of the officers from the previous photo either presenting or receiving an award featuring a bell. Does anyone know what this symbolizes?

The balding officer is also seen in the first photo of this thread.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man what a party!

We'll jump to 1959 now with this photo taken in the General Albert Beck Kaserne.

Suhr is seen standing second from the left in the back row. The first gentleman in the back row is Graf Stauffenberg - any relation?

From what I can tell he is assigned to the "4. Transport - kunz - lehrgang".

What does this mean?

Note that the first man on the left in the first row is sporting a Mountain Division patch on his right sleeve. An older officer (seond from the right, back row) appears to be wearing the short mountain tunic. He has a Luftwaffe officer to his right, with another Luftwaffe officer directly in front of him.

Thanks,
                          TJ
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the back of the above photo?

Any volunteers for translation?

Thanks,
                            TJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

Next we'll jump to a field problem in September, 1962.

Here we see a round detonating down range. Does anyone recognize the impact area?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X