Gordon:
    appears, that I forgot the image tags. Here are the photos:

Differences are obvious between real BGS and fake:
    1. Cut of "earflap" area
    2. Thread colour
    3. Vent holes
    4. Lining
    5. Work Quality
    Last edited by Klaus1989; 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Klaus,

Thanks for trying again. Sorry to say that the photos did not come through. All I see is a small box with an "x" in it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Attached to email. Hopefully work this time!

Comment

I am very interested in seeing the pictures!

Klaus, your links didn't work because the images are protected by Miltaria-Fundforum. You need a password to view the threads and the pictures.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

I have recieved copies of the subject photos and they are posted below. I have already passed on my thoughts to Klaus so I can say them again here.
            The sewing doesn't appear to be very well done to me and the bright green strokes of the rain pattern just don't look right. Of course, these photos are going to look different on everyones screen so my comments are based on what I see in front of me.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Gordon and Klaus!

I'd give this one more consideration than the other, but the question still remains if the BGS ever officially had such a hat. There is no evidence in these pictures to confirm this, though markings were often missing on early BGS items. Therefore, "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" as the saying goes.

Interestingly I just saw Siegmund Stephan selling BGS Splittertarn hats (plural!) similar to the original one but with better stitching:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Feldmutze-M43...ht_2853wt_1084

I believe these, like the one that started this thread, are not genuine BGS.

Steve

Comment

What about this one? Same hat as the OP but all dressed up? Or something completely different?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...vip=true&rt=nc

The seller ended the listing early. I assume someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Gene T

Comment

Hi Gene,

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some officer or long serving NCO had a hat like this made for himself. But I really, really doubt it was made directly for the BW.

Of course this could just as easily be made by me or another collector. Could have even been done 40 years ago! This is the problem with custom made things... it could be something by a soldier, it might not be. It's almost impossible to tell from looking at the item.

I like the BGS hat in Klaus' pictures because it has a liner and was obviously worn a lot, judging by the sweatband. Less suspicious than a brand new looking one. Could be from a reenactor, though.

Based on the insane prices of his other Splittertarn items, I am guessing he got offered a LOT of money for that hat. Far more than I would pay for it, and I would pay a decent price for it if I liked the look of the inside.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X