Early "amoeba" zeltbahns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
    That is a very rare, and very nice, Spanish poncho/shelter half. I'm a camo collector and have almost one of everything the Spanish ever made in camouflage, including the same one you have (though I think I'm missing the hood/bag). As far as I can remember this is the only type that has sleeves on it. Which makes things a little more interesting

Here's some history...

The trapezoidal shape appears to have started with the US WW2 "pup tent" (I don't know if it was inspired by something else):

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_shelter_half.php

In 1955 the BW got rid of their traditional triangular pattern and adopted the US shape. This makes sense because at the time the BW was using a lot of surplus US equipment. However, they included the button flaps for arms to fit through, similar to the old triangular style Zeltbahn. In addition the German system had a button on hood which also acted as a carry bag. The tentpole/stake bag was also a German innovation.

The Germans produced these for themselves in "Amoeba" camo as well as for the Belgian military in "Moon & Balls" and "Jigsaw" camouflage. The Swiss also experimented with using this same design in "Leibermuster" camouflage. I am not sure if the Swiss made them or if a German company did. Either way, the design is identical and they later abandoned it and returned to their traditional square shelter halves.

All of this was done in mid 1950s, with follow up designs coming out in later years. The current BW Flecktarn type is nearly identical to the 1950s type, for example.

Now here is the interesting part

The Swiss had two versions of the trapazoidal type; standard German design *and* one with added sleeves. The one with the sleeves was designed for bicycle riders. They are exceptionally rare. Even the standard type, without sleeves, is very difficult to find.

What does this mean? It means the Spanish type you have is based on a Swiss design which is based on a German design which is based on an American design. This is not surprising as a lot of Spain's post WW2 uniforms and equipment can be traced to foreign designs.

Steve
    Hi Steve.

Thanks for your info.

For all of you interested on this thread related, there is several american USGI SHELTER OLIVE DRAB PUP TENT on sale on ebay to see the differences between german and US ones. This is the link to one of them.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-SHELTER...-/282528758318

I must agree with your conclusions but I didn´t know about any military links between Swiss ad Spanish army. I suppose that probably may have been through the relations between the German and Spanish army which Swiss pattern was knew.

I will share additional images of a more conventional Spanish triangular Zeltbanh.

Regards.

César.

Comment

This is off topic for the BRD forum, so maybe you should start a new thread in the International Militaria section? I think it is fun to discuss "lineage" of designs, but I think we've already covered the part that is relevant to the Bundeswehr.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
        This is off topic for the BRD forum, so maybe you should start a new thread in the International Militaria section? I think it is fun to discuss "lineage" of designs, but I think we've already covered the part that is relevant to the Bundeswehr.

Steve
        Hi Steve.

Thanks for your idea.

By the moment I´ll keep it on hold because I´m mainly focused in field line communications until 2WW and I would like to keep my efforts on this area.

Thanks again for your info.

Best regards.

César.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X