History of German Moleskin Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of German Moleskin Uniforms

Most BW collectors know there are several types of Moleskin uniforms issued after the Arbeitsanzug was discontinued and before Flecktarn was issued. However, until a recent discussion with fellow members here I had thought there was only 3 different models of the uniform issued from 1963-1991. However, evidence came to light that there were in fact 4 different models issued. A special thanks to PASSAUER8884 for helping uncover this 4th type and providing the picture I used (below) for 2. Modell Jacket.

The uniforms can basically be thought of as two different major types with one significant modification each. Therefore, 1. and 2. Modell look fairly similar to each other, but different than 3. and 4. Modell. Likewise, 3. and 4. Modell have more in common with each other than with 1. and 2. Modell. The exception being 3. Modell Jacket, which has features more similar to 4. Modell but looks more like 2. Modell.

Below are pictures with labels and arrows pointing out various differences. Feature changes are noted, the feature similarities are not. There are probably other differences that are not shown in my pictures. These are just the major differences that are fairly easy to spot.

A note about the dates. If you see a "?" it means the exact date is not known to me, but I'm probably within 1 year of the correct date. If there is no "?" after the date then it is a pretty solid date (production probably overlapped). Trouser dates should be the same as the jackets.

Enjoy!

Steve

P.S. I am looking for a mint condition 2. Modell Jacket and mint condition 3. Modell Trousers. eBay pictures are horribly unreliable so I will need to get these from a collector who can examine the labels to check dates.

Last edited by Collectinsteve; 12-16-2010, 02:19 AM.

Thank you very much for all that information in one go. I will have some reference to work from when I get to my box of old BW stuff.
    May I ask what the waist buttons are for please?
    Marc

Comment

You're welcome! I was going to just describe this stuff in text, but pictures are so much nicer. More time consuming to make, but nicer

The buttons directly below the pockets are for holding the bottom of the old style flashlight. The flashlight has two leather straps with the top using the pocket button.

I do not know what the center button is for. Perhaps it was to hang the flashlight (loose) when the soldier had all his field gear on? As you can see, the purpose of this button was found unimportant and removed. Interestingly they also found it unimportant to have both left and right sides capable of holding the flashlight, so for the 4. Modell (and Modell B TruVsu 1988 Flecktarn) they limited it to just the left side of the soldier.

Steve

Comment

Steve, very nice idea! That is what I am missing in the recent books...

Comment

Very nice indeed, Steve. It really clarifies the timeline of the major changes.

The one feature I would label differently is your "reinforcement tapes", on both the shirt and the trousers. I think "suspension straps" would be more apt a term. I believe the feature is put there so that when the shirt is worn tucked in, the horizontal suspension straps on the trousers would pass through the slots (of which there are multiple, to accommodate different torso lengths) of the corresponding vertical straps on the shirt, so that the latter would stay put under exertion. The fact that these were omitted from the fourth and last model of shirt and trousers (as well as their subsequent Flecktarn homologues) is probably a reflection of the fact that shirt-tucking went out of style somewhere in the mid '80s

Gene T

Comment

When we collectors think of a really good research book, this is the sort of stuff we usually find completely lacking. Even Kunstwadl, who did a better job than anybody else IMHO, skims over many details like this. Most likely because the official documentation is poor and the only really sure way to figure this out is to know what questions to ask. Then ask those questions of many collectors. Even then it takes a lot of effort!

My near term plan is to retire from my day job soon and spend a part of my free time writing small, focused books specifically for collectors. That won't make me much money, but it will be a lot of fun. Which is why I have more profitable plans for the rest of my time

But that's for a later day!

Gene,

Yes, I didn't know what to call them. Unfortunately I did these images in a quick and dirty program so I can not go back and edit. I really should have done them in PhotoShop. Lesson learned.

Steve

Comment

Collectinsteve
              Couldn`t you attach the photo of the 4th Modell`s tag? I`ve never seen this jacket, dated before 1989. On army photos before 1988 all soldiers wear 3rd Modell.

Best regards, Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

The problem is I only have two 4th Model jackets and one set of trousers, therefore it is a very small sampling and doesn't mean much.

The dates are 1988, 1990, and 1991.

The trials for the 4th Model were in 1984, so 1986 would be about right for the full production to start. But I do not have an official answer, only pieced together information. If anybody has better knowledge of dates this would be quite helpful.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

1997 dated leo köhler moleskin jacket?

Hello everyone out there in inter web land.I collect Bundesgrenzschutz Bundeswehr and some other german military stuff and no a little bit, I own 6-7 of the very popular moleskin jackets I recently made a trade for one that kinda blows me away, maybe someone out there knows why this thing exists. It's for sure legit it's not a fake or a China copy.However that being said the jackets tag for the year is marked 1997 did they just keep making them due to a contract or maybe leo köhler had some left and sold them to civilians? Any help would be much appreciated.
                  The German.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGerman88 View Post
                    Hello everyone out there in inter web land.I collect Bundesgrenzschutz Bundeswehr and some other german military stuff and no a little bit, I own 6-7 of the very popular moleskin jackets I recently made a trade for one that kinda blows me away, maybe someone out there knows why this thing exists. It's for sure legit it's not a fake or a China copy.However that being said the jackets tag for the year is marked 1997 did they just keep making them due to a contract or maybe leo köhler had some left and sold them to civilians? Any help would be much appreciated.
                    The German.
                    Welcome to the forum! You can post photos here will help. The moleskin uniforms were worn well into 1990s by some units with lesser priority, recruits, reservists, etc. (latest photo I have seen so far was 2001!), so it theoretical, that they could be manufactured after 1991. The introduction of Flecktarn lasted several years and many of these units still had olive in mid-1990s.

Regards
                    Klaus

Comment

Pictures hopefully.....(newb)

Last edited by TheGerman88; 12-02-2014, 01:38 PM. Reason: Photo was blurry

Comment

Pictures hopefully.....(newb)

[/IMG]

I have no clue why it's blurry it's not on my camera.....

Comment

From what I can see, look like original label. I have seen other moleskin uniform articles from mid-late 1990s. Apparently even many combat units (non-"elite" as opposed to FJ, Jäger, etc.) not receive new uniforms until end of 1990s or only some received Flecktarn, so moleskin was still produced until then.

Regards
                          Klaus

Comment

Photo

Thanks for your help Klaus I don't know why this image thing is giving me such a hard time kinda sucks really wanted someone to get a good look at the label I'll just type it out.

GE
                            KÖHLER GMBH
                            Q/B21B/V0255/V1394
                            180-190/105
                            8090/0510(Gr.Nr.13
                            8415-12-155-9086
                            75%Baumwolle/25%Polyester
                            Then it has the icons for washing

If someone can explain these numbers meanings it'd me very helpful and interesting to know.
                            Thanks everyone !!! Especially Klaus!!!!

Comment

well, I am really BGS collector, but will try to explain label. I forget first number but think something with Bw supply system number, year 1997, contract number, size 13 (Bw size, medium?), NATO supply number (12 = W Germany)... And of course 75% cotton and 25% polyester. Hope this help.

I know some Bw collectors here could probably give more detailed explanation.

Regards
                              Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X