Second generation dress tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second generation dress tunic

After I filled up the ranks of the first generation with restored jackets I managed to get a very nice and most possible authentic piece from the second generation of BW dress tunics. A Viertaschenrock as it was invented in the late 50ies. I like it very much as it is a NCO tunic and it is not converted to 1963+ standart! It still has its pointed shoulderboards, the litze is not closed and no Verbandsabzeichen was added.
    Also it has a very nice ribbon bar ...

The sidecap came with this jacket but it is a bit science fiction as the coloured piping came from 1963 onwards...

Jens

Asbjoern, what does the yellow braided lanyard signify ?
    Thanks, Steven.

Comment

Steve, at frist a wellcome to the WAF BRD section !

The lanyard is a so called "Spießschnur", a special insignia for the Kompaniefeldwebel ("companys NCO"), which is a special position for a NCO in each company.

Regards,

JEns

Comment

Asbjoern, thanks for your swift response ! much appreciated....I ask, as I have picked up an Artillery senior NCO's service tunic with this lanyard attached, I had not seen it before, until I saw your superb tunic with one on ! I take it the lanyard went out use after the metal "Kompaniefeldwebel" Tatigskeitabzeichen came out in the early 80's...?
        Steven.

Comment

Jens,

Great tunic. First one I have seen with der Spießschnur attached. I am envious!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Aloha Jens!!
            Wow! now that's a really nice tunic & side cap!!! I like the shoulder boards and ribbon bar, looks like the previous owner was a well decorated WW2 veteran. A silly question, but what's the difference between a first generation tunic and a second generation tunic? What type of helmet would have been worn with this type of tunic?

Mahalo,
            Rodney

Comment

Hej Rodney !

The first generation of dress tunics were the very short jacket known as "Affenjacke" and a very similar but longer Jacket with two pockets in the lower part made between 1955 and 1956 (7)... if you scroll around a little you`ll find a thread on them. As these first jackets turned out to be of an poor design already in 1958 the new stile tunics were invented ... the main difference between those and your tunic from the late 60ies is the much darker gray and the pointed shoulder flaps. These were used until 1962 when the rounded ones came in use...
              As this is a dress tunic wearing a helmet would mean the configuation of the "Grosser Dienstanzug" ("sreat service dress") for more formal events. The first helmet type in the BW was a US M1 stile two piece helmet.It differed from the US (and other helmets of this stile) with its liner being painted gray. This gray liner without the steel shell was worn for the "Grosser Dienstanzug".
              Even today there is a gray variant of the actual combat helmet for occasions when the GD is worn ... it is a simplified lightweight variant without ballistic protection in gray...

Jens

P.S. :Rodney, didn`t you get my message ?

Comment

... and here is the link to the 0´l ones:http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=433569

Jens

Comment

Nabend Jens!

Klasse Jacke!

Great Tunic!

Is it possible to date the Tunic? Are there any labels in the innerpocket or at least stamps?

Thanks!
                  Michael

Comment

Team,

This 50's era press photo heralding the debut of the second generation dress tunic arrived today and I was surprised to see the date; December 2, 1957.

I thought this might be a tad early; what say you?

All the best,

TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's the back of the photo; anyone up for a little translation?

Did I get the date right?

Thanks,

TJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

The date would be the 12th of February, 1957. German dates are day-month-year. Too late at night to try any translating with any accuracy. Perhaps tomorrow when I am ot quite so tired.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Translation

I´ll do my best :

As before...
                          it becomes the Uniform of the Bundeswehr again.From the jacket
                          in american Style it turns to the one-breasted Uniform with outside
                          Pockets and upturned sleeves again.The collar "Litzen" are there, too.The Colour for the Army changes to grey, for the Airforce to
                          blue.Two members of the Bundeswehr (left Airforce, right Army)
                          during a walk-out in front of the "Bundeshaus" in Bonn.

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for the help!

All the best,
                            TJ

Comment

Something new

Some times ago I aquired a nice tailor made NCO tunic from the 60ies (the Leistungsabzeichen may not be original on it, the tunic had som other no period decoration swhen I got it...) ... made in Nagold, so most possible the guy served there. There is no indication that a ribbon bar was worn on this tunic so most possible he was one of the "new" recruits from the early years

Jens
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X