Introduction of the Feldanzug (Filzlaus) uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction of the Feldanzug (Filzlaus) uniform

It has been a whie since I have been able to initiate a thread on the forum. Luckily, I know have enough of my collection unpacked and can start some research again. This the first time I have done any research on this uniform and I am looking forward to posts from others to add, or correct, to what I have to say.

Regards,

Gordon

In February of 1958, the Modellausschuss für Bekleidung decided to stop procuring the cotton camouflage uniforms and to introduce a Field Uniform of a wool material. This decision was taken following many complaints from the field that there were numerous shortcoming with the then current camouflage clothing. The Modellausschuss für Bekleidung consulted with the Infanterieschule Hammelburg, the Gebirgs- und winterkampfschule Mittwald as well as different Truppenamtes before selecting a wool uniform for troop trials. Generally speaking, testing took place in the context of smaller exercises during the winter of 1958/59. The experiences were so positive that procurement could be instituted and the uniform introduced. The new Field Uniform consisted of a solid coloured cloth (90 per cent of fleece wool, 10 per cent of polyamide fiber) since camouflage printing of this type of material was technically not feasible. The uniform consisted of a four button tunic with hidden buttons. There were two external breast pockets with a flap closed by a single button. The buttons on these pockets were also hidden. There was a single internal pocket inside the left breast that closed with a tab and a single button. There were three small holes underneath each armpit for ventilation. The elbows had external reinforcement. Early uniforms had sewn-in, pointed, shoulder boards. When the new rank structure with rounded shoulder boards was introduced in 1963 the shoulder boards on the field uniform were produced with rounded ends. The Heer and the Marine land element wore the national flag on each shoulder. Rank insignia used was that applicable to the individual service. The Luftwaffe wore the national flag on each shoulder and above that a stylized wing. Heer rank insignia was used.
    The rousers were straight legged and without a cuff. They had a single large "bellows" pocket on each leg. These pockets were closed by a large flap which was sewn flat down the front edge and closed by two hidden buttons. The knees had additional reinforcement similar to the elbows. There were a number of tabs and buttons at the waist to allow for size adjustment. Please refer to the pictures for their arrangement as that is the easiest way to explain them. Also available when the uniform was first introduced was a quilted polyester suit for wear underneath the field uniform. This was soon discontinued as an unnecessary item.
    There was a schiffchen cap in the same material as the uniform with side flaps that could be folded down. These side flaps were held in place, when worn turned up, by a snap fastener on each side of the cap. The snap fasteners on my cap are marked "extra 2 PRYM". Kunstwadl indicates there was a tankers cap made which could be worn with or without the plastic lining. He was not specific as to which cap he was talking about but possibly it could be the beret with the interior plastic frame similar that produced and worn in the Wehrmacht.

In the first foto, the pointed shoulder boards, the breast pockets and the national flag on the shoulder are clearly visible. There is a button missing on the front of the tunic. There should be a button centred between the other two visible buttons and located on the flap covering the buttons closing the tujic. It is in one of the breast pockets.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gordon Craig; 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM.

The label from an early 1960s tunic.
    Attached Files

Comment

There is a tab under the collar on the left side which can be buttoned across the neck opening.
      Attached Files

Comment

A picture of the back of the interior showing the rough tailoring done on these tunics. Please note the yoke running across the top of the shoulders. On my early 1962 tunic this is a white material (waterproofing) that has gone stiff with age and makes a great deal of noise when moved. On a later 1962 in my collection this waterproofing is made of a different white material which feels "rubbery" to the touch and is still soft. In the 1963 dated tunic in my collection there is no waterproofing material applied to the underside of the yoke.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gordon Craig; 09-24-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

The trousers. In this picture you can see the patch pockets on the leg, the front pockets closed with a buttoned flap pointing forward and the hip pocket also closed with a butttoned flap. Above the pockets you can see a tab and three buttons for adjusting the waist size.
          Attached Files

Comment

Another view of the trousers.
            Attached Files

Comment

Another interior view of the trousers. More waist size adjusting tabs. The label in the trousers is also available.
              Attached Files

Comment

The schiffchen.
                Attached Files

Comment

A side view of the schiffchen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

At first sight there is nothing to add to the story!

The tankers cap: There are definitely two different types of headgear! There is the "Panzerschutzmütze" (Tankprotectioncap), a beret like cap with an internal plastic helmet. The cover can be removed but not be worn seperately. The second type is a beret, made from the the same cloth as the battle dress.

I`ll have to scan my harddisk at home, I`ve pictures of both...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Jens,

Looking forward to your photos. I have one of the hard framed berets but have not seen the other one you mention.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gents,

I unpacked my "Panzerschutzmütze" (Tankprotectioncap) today so I can post fotos of it.

Regards,

Gordon
                        Attached Files

Comment

The interior.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A closeup of the makers label.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The first beret

Just only two pctures ... but here is the first BW beret:

Jens

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X