Introduction of the Feldanzug (Filzlaus) uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jens,

Thanks for the pictures of the first BW beret. Year ago I read some where that the panzer cap was worn without the frame sometimes. I can see now how that mistake could have been made. If you ever see one of these first type berets for sale please let me know.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Team - Gordon great thread. I thought it was interesting that for a time the "felt louse" issued to the Bundesluftwaffe featured their insignia over the national color (photo via Manion's).

All the best - TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

Thanks for posting the picture of the Fils Louse with the Luftwaffe wings. I had meant to post a picture like that of the uniform in my collection but never got around to it. Never too late though so here it is now.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

Jens,

I was browsing through Kunswadls book the other night and noticed that he called the beret without the plastic insert a Panzerschutzmutze as well. Perhaps both pieces of head gear were intended for wear by the Panzer troops alone.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,
            as far as I know the tankers where the first branch of the BW wearing berets...so here is my guess on that: maybe first the hard hat was invented as a protectional item (with some tradition) worn while riding on their tanks, quickly followed by the soft version for every day duty without the need for protection - It`s no real fun to wear this helmet...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Only the tankers wear this both hats, the hard in tank, and the soft daily as normal. As I entered tanktroop 1977 we have this items, but we does't wear.
              them. It was as reserve. One Day we all become the black berret - and we give the olive hats back. But I remeber a cold and wet day in November as we all must wear a day in field the filzlaus before we gave also back - the uniform get wet in a few hours and was then absolutly unwearable. The feeling was as the weight was tons! The uggliest felling in a uniform as I ever have had. Years later I was Oberfähnerich and commader of a Leopard I. .. and the early days of Bundeswehr was forgotten......

Best regards

Harrah
              (I own all my uniforms and medals of this time until today)

Comment

Unlined beret

I have one of the unlined berets with brown band, thought it might be early fallschirmjaeger - thanks for clearing that up. It's a handsome item, isn't it?

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the filzlaus beret. That fills in my info on this uniform. Hurrah's comments tell me why the early tunics had the waterproof lining in the tunic yoke. This uniform is heavy dry. As Hurrah says, it must have weighed a ton when it was wet.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by harrah_de View Post
                    Only the tankers wear this both hats, the hard in tank, and the soft daily as normal. As I entered tanktroop 1977 we have this items, but we does't wear.
                    them. It was as reserve. One Day we all become the black berret - and we give the olive hats back. But I remeber a cold and wet day in November as we all must wear a day in field the filzlaus before we gave also back - the uniform get wet in a few hours and was then absolutly unwearable. The feeling was as the weight was tons! The uggliest felling in a uniform as I ever have had. Years later I was Oberfähnerich and commader of a Leopard I. .. and the early days of Bundeswehr was forgotten......

Best regards

Harrah
                    (I own all my uniforms and medals of this time until today)
                    Harrah - It was nice to hear from you. We would love to see pictures of your uniforms and medals and also hear more of your memories.

Thanks - TJ

Comment

Gentlemen,

I unpacked the 16 Juli, 1962 issue of VISIER today. The cover is interesting as it pictures this uniform in wear during a river crossing. A good picture of the uniform in wear in the field even if it is a posed picture.

Regards,

Gordon
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gordon - Excellent photo of a G-1 equipped Stabsunteroffizier assigned to a combat engineer unit (Pioniere) as indicated by the tactical symbol printed on the left side of his life vest.

I'd also venture to say that he's wearing the FJ-60 style helmet. The gloves look like suede leather; could that be correct?

In any event, a great photo. Thanks for posting.

All the best - TJ

Comment

TJ,

Not sure about the gloves. They certainly don't appear to have a high glove finish such as dress gloves have. Would made sense that they would have a dull surface so as not to reflect light.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Team - Here's a picture of the "felt louse" uniform being worn in the field by medical personnel. It appears as though the medics prefer the earlier M43 style cap in denim as opposed to the issue schiffen.

Also of note is the placard, smoke stack emerging from the tent, and corduroy sidewalk, all indicative of a high level of preparation and professionalism.

All the best - TJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a "felt louse" that appeared on Manion's recently.

TJ
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                                Team - Here's a picture of the "felt louse" uniform being worn in the field by medical personnel. It appears as though the medics prefer the earlier M43 style cap in denim as opposed to the issue schiffen.

Also of note is the placard, smoke stack emerging from the tent, and corduroy sidewalk, all indicative of a high level of preparation and professionalism.

All the best - TJ
                                Since the Feldmütze was issued as summer cap for some time in 1960s, when Arbeitsanzug was still worn as summer uniform (before moleskin). So they appear to mix summer and winter uniforms for own preference.

I have undated photo from early 1960s of Bw soldiers in Arbeitsanzug (no "Filzlaus" though) during summer and all with these caps. Not related to this topic very much, but maybe I post it sometime.

regards
                                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X