Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YES! Mystery ammo pouch tentatively IDed as Wachbataillon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES! Mystery ammo pouch tentatively IDed as Wachbataillon!

Team - I've had this ammo pouch for close to ten years. It's only now that I've received a tentative identification from nico that it is most likely a set manufactured for the Bundeswehr Wachbataillon as a ceremonial accessory for the unit's Kar98k rifle (known as the G21 in Bundeswehr service).

Man, I love this forum! Thanks nico!

If anyone has the mate to this one that they wouldn't mind parting with, please send me a PM.

All the best - TJ
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
    Team - I've had this ammo pouch for close to ten years. It's only now that I've received a tentative identification from nico that it is most likely a set manufactured for the Bundeswehr Wachbataillon as a ceremonial accessory for the unit's Kar98k rifle (known as the G21 in Bundeswehr service).

Man, I love this forum! Thanks nico!

If anyone has the mate to this one that they wouldn't mind parting with, please send me a PM.

All the best - TJ
    I must see if there's one left. Otherwise I'll try to get some from my friends in the Wachbat.
    Nico

Comment

Team - stingray69 posted pictures of this very interesting pouch on the Wehrmacht Equipment Forum.

As you can see, it bears a very strong resemblance to the Wachbataillon ammo pouch whose identity eluded me for so many years.

Another viewer stated that stingray69's pouch could be a Colombian Parade Pouch. Could it be possible that this is a white version of the Wachbataillon model?

All the best - TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

Rear view.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bottom view.
          Attached Files

Comment

Team - stingray69's original thread is found below:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=544878

Comment

TJ,

I brought the thread on the Wachbatallion that I started some time ago to see if we could get some more response to your question. My question on this pouches identification would be when this pouch would have been worn and why? I've spent my fair share of time on drill squads and the last thing I would want to wear would be something that would stick out in front of me like this pouch would have. It would really get in the way of the precision drill movements that a ceremonial drill squad performs. Just my two cents worth.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon - First and foremost, thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

I quite agree with your assessment and must conclude that these accoutrements were not destined for a long service life for the very reasons you mention.

It's interesting to note that across the Iron Curtain, the brown SKS ammo pouch worn by the NVA honor guards posted at the Neue Wache were equally shortlived.

All the best - TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X