No announcement yet.

West Germany Fallschirmjager Spange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ralph - They most certainly are relevant to the conversation. The example in post #14 appears to be the bronze grade of the current BW parachutist badge. #15 looks like a bullion version of the series that immediately preceeded it.

My thanks for the high quality close-ups.

TJ

Comment

Hello TJ - Thanks for your post. From what I was told both of these badges were picked up during the late 1980s.
      Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
        Here's a picture of the 57/58 stick-pin. Given it's gold coloration, it presumably was only worn by those in the Naval service.
        Not neccessarily. These awards are given in bronze, silver, gold, according to amount of years in the service. Same as the marksman grades. There are aslso classes within the "trade". "Fallschirmspringer I, II, III, etc."

BUT these change rather quickly. Some have been the same since 1949, others have seen different criteria virtualy two or three yearly.

Comment

Hi,

Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.:
          "Here's a picture of the 57/58 stick-pin. Given it's gold coloration, it presumably was only worn by those in the Naval service."

I do not believe it. I can only find badges in silver coloration (altsilber).
          Is it possible, that it is a badge made from bronze with lost silver coloration?

Furor Teutonicu:
          "These awards are given in bronze, silver, gold, according to amount of years in the service."

Can you please show us your sources for this early instituted piece, I'm very interested in it.

Regards
          Uwe

Comment

Uwe - You were correct about the stick-pin. When I got it outdoors and looked at it under natural light you could tell that it was faded silver.

I'm pretty sure at one point however, that the Bundesmarine received gold parachutist wings.

In the attached picture of what author Harry Pugh calls the 1958-1966 model wings, you can see that the Heer and Bundesluftwaffe wings are sewn on gray and blue backings respectively, while the Bundesmarine version appears to be gold on navy Blue.

This was a very unusual design that I don't like very much. I'm glad that the Bundeswehr adapted more traditional style wings in the next go around (see Ralph's pictures above).

The frequent design changes must have been frustrating for the Bundeswehr, but they were good for us collectors!

All the best - TJ
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

TJ,

Nice selection of embroidered insignia on different coloured cloth. The Bundeswehr certainly wore some excellently embroidered badges. According to Kunstwadl, this embroidered insignia was nicknamed "Eisenbahnerabzeichen" because of its similarity to German railroad insgnia. Is anyone else aware of the use of this term to describe this embroidered insignia?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gents - here is what I hope is a clearer picture of the 1958-1966 model parachutist badge.

TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Next up, the 1966-1983 model in cloth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The same model executed in bullion.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The 1966-1983 model in stamped metal.

In all three example sets, it is difficult to differentiate the gold wreath from the bronze. As an aside, the colors of the wreath correspond to the number of jumps:

Bronze = 5 jumps (Step I)
                      Silver = 20 jumps (Step II)
                      Gold = 50 jumps (Step III)

Wikipedia, a source discredited by some, but at the very least a good starting point for internet research, has a handy section on current Bundeswehr awards and badges found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Parachutist_Badge

The difficulty in distinguishing the wreath color may have contributed to the Bundeswehr adapting a new model wing in 1983. This style, illustrated in the next post, is still worn today.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The current style wing adapted in 1983.
                        Attached Files

Comment

According to author Harry Pugh, the below model wing appeared in the early 1980s labeled "Proposed Design". It was produced on different color backings, but never in metal.

Pugh states that it was never adopted for wear, but the one shown below on a moleskin backing appears to have been taken off a uniform.

Pugh theorizes that it may have been designed for reconnaissance troops. They didn't get their own parachutist badge, but they did get a new beret badge in the early 1980s.

TJ
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of the 1985-1986 test series badges. Again, these were never adpated by the Bundeswehr.

TJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

A rather fuzzy rendition of the GSG-9 badge offered as a contrast.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's an example of the '85-'86 test series as taken from the oliv moleskin jacket.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 17 users online. 0 members and 17 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X