X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you've got a lucky day

Comment

Looting&plundering a depot ?

All BGS stamped ? Maybe I would need one ...

JEns

Comment

No, a scout clan
        At the moment I've got no information about zhe stamps, because a friend has collected them for me. When I've checked it I will tell you

But the best thing is that now I finally can build the 60 shelter-half tent

Comment

Damn that's a lot!
          What years did they use this color?

Comment

Originally posted by michelwijnand View Post
            Damn that's a lot!
            What years did they use this color?
            60s-70s. Introduced around same time as Einsatzanzug (1963/64).

Regards
            Klaus

Comment

This colour was used by the BGS and the Landespolizei S-H from the early 60s on. Unfortunately until now I've never seen a date stamp on this kind of Zeltbahn. But during the winter I will check them all if there are different kinds of stamps.

Comment

Wow! Of course if you have a wife, and she is anything like most of our wives, this find is a mixed blessing. The cost of buying these is measured in more than money (says the guy who just bought a pile of rare Norwegian desert camo despite many dirty looks aimed right at me!).

I haven't seen a lot of these on eBay recently. They were easy to find a number of years ago because STURM got a hold of a large number. Even the local surplus shop near me (rural USA) had lots of them. Or at least they had lots of the tent pole bags. I can't remember! At least the tent pole bags because I bought several of them.

If you find any markings on them, please let us know!

Steve

P.S. does the case of Pils come with it?

Comment

Thanks for the info, if you ever decide to sell some, I'd like one.
                  I made a BGS loadout years ago, and it could do with a major overhaul, so I'd be happy to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post

P.S. does the case of Pils come with it?
                    Unfortunately not I will check the markings, when I clean and fold them the right way.

@Michel: I will tell you if I should decide to sell some.

Simon

Comment

Hi all heres a few pics of my BGS camo ensemble display... still work in progress!!!... still need... buttons, pebbled, 17mm and rank sholder boards....and also the correct BGS water bottle and cover!!

Comment

Good start, but a few corrections to help. Jacket is late type from 1970s, so early-mid 70s look would be best.

- wrong y-straps, replace with standard BGS model - these are for Feuerwehr and musicians (BGS drummers wore them also, but not regular troops)

- breadbag look like very late type (mid-late 70s) with rivets and black metal fittings. Could work for your time period, but not common. Remove the strap, it was not worn.

- would remove the Sumpftarn cover and only use helmet net, Sumpftarn cover is fantasy piece.

- get folding shovel with black leather carrier (and canteen, but you mentioned this)

- replace with green rubberised binoculars (like Bundeswehr). The black Diagon is early BGS and no longer used by 1970s. Have photo of markings, because not look like a Hensoldt Diagon to me? I have BGS-marked example and is very different. Depending on rank and mission (ex. rifleman during maneuvers), might not need binoculars for display.

For late 60s-70s, here is old photo, that I have posted a few times here. The Sumpftarn Zeltbahn could be replaced with green version (or left off). Shovel is Bundeswehr stand-in, BGS should be same colour as messkit.

Regards
                        Klaus
                        Last edited by Klaus1989; 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Thanks Klaus...
                          yes thought the "Y" strap looked incorrect... BGS one has cover flap to rear clip??? right!!?? and marked BGS or BUND!!! I have the folding "E" tool...but just the green leather army carrier for it at the moment though... something else for the list!! the cover is a parka hood... as I was told these were used in the field by BGS troopers!!??? binos are civilian type, of similar period just added for effect really... will replace in time as I manage to get the correct BGS issued items!!
                          thanks again for the pointers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by austromunga View Post
                            Thanks Klaus...
                            yes thought the "Y" strap looked incorrect... BGS one has cover flap to rear clip??? right!!?? and marked BGS or BUND!!! I have the folding "E" tool...but just the green leather army carrier for it at the moment though... something else for the list!! the cover is a parka hood... as I was told these were used in the field by BGS troopers!!??? binos are civilian type, of similar period just added for effect really... will replace in time as I manage to get the correct BGS issued items!!
                            thanks again for the pointers!!!
                            Yes, y-straps like on in photo, 1970s ones can be BUND or BGS stamped. The folding BGS shovel is not only different colour than Bw but actually slightly different design, in that blade can be locked at almost any angle, not only 90 and 180 degrees.

Not seen parka hoods as covers, only the splinter Zeltbahn hoods tailored as covers in 1950s.

For field use, binoculars would be carried by Gruppenführer and higher positions (so at least Wachtmeister rank), but equipment and weapons would be different than your display in most cases. Lower ranks also carried them on border patrols, but would not wear camo when on border. So not even necessary for your jacket...

Regards
                            Klaus

Comment

Definitely off to a good start and Klaus has already provided some good guidance for corrections. My only comment is about the breadbag. To me that looks like ZB or THW, not BGS. See if there are any stamps on the inside that might clarify this.

I agree with Klaus that the Sumpftarn helmet cover is not proper. I've never, ever seen a picture of BGS wearing a Sumpftarn helmet cover of any sort (excepting GSG-9, of course ). This includes me not seeing the older detachable hood being used as a helmet cover, not to mention one ripped off a parka. The only camo cover I've seen is the Splittertarn and even then not very often and never for this time period.

Great jacket with original sewn badging. If you look carefully you might note that the BUNDSGRENZSCHUTZ arc was added. Sometime around 1971/1972 regulations were changed and the arc was authorized for the field uniform and older jackets were retrofitted.

As for the rank, make sure you know which type to look for! 1967-1970/1971 used the older type with felt strap, from 1971-1975 the plastic reinforced strap type was used. The difference is the width. you can not fit the later type on an earlier jacket, though you can fit the older type on a newer jacket.

Steve

Comment

I was not sure about the breadbag colour, in one photo look blue grey, in another like it could be schwarzgrün? This style is very late, I have seen BGS ones in "moss green" (late 70s-80s) of this pattern, but not schwarzgrün (pre 76-78) before.

The arc was introduced 1970, but I am sure not everyone immediately issued one.

Regards
                                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X