• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like the old saying:

"Rules exist to be broken"

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Marksharky View Post
      Wonderful photo! It is these "exceptions to the rule" discoveries that keeps the thrill of the hunt and collecting alive! Anyone who has served in the service knows that there often seemed to be as many exceptions as there were rules
      Yes you are SO right ! My camo helmet cover in Vietnam was a Korean war issue. USMC. (I still have it). Tom

Comment

Was able to finally put together set of early BGS winter issue protection from various sources (just need the Pulli to be complete). Influence of WH is very obvious, only colour change to BGS greygreen. Have the knit gloves, early pattern scarf and neckwarmer ("Oma"). None have maker labels, gloves and Oma have name tags. Gloves are with 3 green size rings, instead of white of WH and early Bw. I think, that there is also another variation of early knit gloves with a finer weave. Higher ranks were permitted to wear lined leather gloves instead.

Here is one my type of glove worn by a Wachtmeister during instruction on the FN Gewehr in a photo from my collection. Undated, ca. late 1950s.

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Nice!

I recently received a set of BGS "trigger finger" shells that go over wool liners. It is in the BGS blue-gray cloth typical of field equipment of the 1960s. I also have a set made from a Splittertarn Zeltbahn with the camouflage on the inside. I've been told the latter is legitimate BGS issue made after the Zeltbahns were no longer in use.

Steve

Comment

yes, there is also mittens, that can be worn, in BGS green. Someone posted here some reversible splittertarn mittens once, but can not find photo. I have no other infos about them.

Comment

Zeltbahn

Speaking of Splittertarn, here is my newest acquisition:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I know this photo has been floating around for awhile, but I found it quite interesting to note the helmet covers. They must have been cut from a spare zeltbahn..........

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I know this photo has been floating around for awhile, but I found it quite interesting to note the helmet covers. They must have been cut from a spare zeltbahn..........
                  The helmet covers were actually made by company tailors from the Zeltbahn hoods. Although unofficial, but all follow same pattern. Here is mine, that I posted somewhere else here. These worn with and without the inner tubes around helmet (without is more common).

Comment

Here a couple of the unaltered hoods for the Zeltbahn. Left one is rarer dark Splittertarn variant. I have only seen the hoods worn white side out as winter snow camo in photos. Stored in pocket on underside of Zeltbahn.

Regards
                    Klaus

Comment

That explains why there is a pocket on the reverse side of the zelt! I wondered about that. What is the "button tab" and string for?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

That explains why there is a pocket on the reverse side of the zelt! I wondered about that. What is the "button tab" and string for?
                        These are used to build the larger tents with more than 4 Zeltbahnen. I am not sure, how the pieces connect, because I have never seen the regulations for this.

Comment

here's my small display ,its a work in progress

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 84 users online. 0 members and 84 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X