BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting Parka.........

If anyone is interested, The Sportsman's Guide is selling 2 Gray parkas for $35.00 USD. They appear to be THW . I may pick up a pair for my growing THW collection.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=943961

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

kees,

We love mysteries. Keep them coming!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
        kees,

We love mysteries. Keep them coming!

Regards,

Gordon
        I'll try and do that.
        all the best
        kees

Comment

Mark,

Those do appear to be THW. Sportsmans Guide has landed a bunch of THW stuff over the years so it fits.

What I'm puzzled by is the blue buttons and snaps on an otherwise very dark gray parka.

My #1 guess is BGS See. This would explain the color, the removed badges, and the design.

I personally don't favor the idea of this being GSG-9.

Steve

Comment

GSG9 unit display from the looks of the Benz seventies.
            the parka looks the same as the very common green bundeswehr parka at that time.
            so a GSG9 black parka with green lining.
            not the BGS type yet,but this photo is earlier than my parka I think.
            second photo is of GSG9 kommandeur Ulrich K Wegener.
            I'll try to find some more pics tomorrow cause there are lots on the net.
            kees
            Attached Files

Comment

Yup, very well known photos. Note that the items worn in the second picture are dark green, not black and not dark gray either. I don't see any signs of a BGS style parka in either pic or in the pics I have. The arm flap was present from 1967 until the 1980s (I think no later). Before 1967 the BGS parkas did not have an arm flap and they were very dark grey. My guess is that could be what's circled in the picture.

I'm not saying GSG-9 don't have their own parka, but I haven't seen one. I also can't understand why they would use blue buttons and snaps when the standard dark gray/brown ones on the standard BGS uniforms would work better from a color standpoint. It's one of the reasons I am thinking BGS See.

Steve
              Last edited by Collectinsteve; 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I have a friend over in Germany who is a BGS collector, and an ex- BGS officer from the 90's. He is also an active team leader for one of the Berlin THW units. He also collects THW items.............. I'll get a hold of him and see what he thinks about this black Parka. I know he has quite a bit of BGS-See and GSG-9 stuff, so he may have some info or insight into this parka.

I'll email him today.

Comment

I have a set of actual GSG-9 issue BDU's from the 90's. The insignia had unfortunately been removed before I got the set. I found it interesting that the green color, was a much darker than the standard BGS uniforms from the same time frame. I am not as well versed in the GSG-9 side of the BGS things, so maybe someone on the forum could give some insight into this darker green uniform color.

I'll get some pictures to post later........ when I'm home.

Comment

Originally posted by Marksharky View Post
                    Very interesting Parka.........

If anyone is interested, The Sportsman's Guide is selling 2 Gray parkas for $35.00 USD. They appear to be THW . I may pick up a pair for my growing THW collection.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=943961
                    Small correction, Mark. It's only for 1 parka. The "2" in their title is for "2-way", in reference to the removable liner.

In their illustration, the liner is inside the parka on the left side, but outside the parka on the right, giving the illusion that there are two separate parkas.

Gene T

Comment

It will be interesting to see what your friend says! BGS See is discussed here even less than THW

Originally posted by Marksharky View Post
                      I have a set of actual GSG-9 issue BDU's from the 90's. The insignia had unfortunately been removed before I got the set. I found it interesting that the green color, was a much darker than the standard BGS uniforms from the same time frame. I am not as well versed in the GSG-9 side of the BGS things, so maybe someone on the forum could give some insight into this darker green uniform color.
                      Green was a color mandated as part of the 1976 demilitarization of the German police forces. At least for their standard dress and formal uniforms of land based forces. Einsatz items seem to have had a little more flexibility, though for the most part they were Green or Olive.

My only thought is GSG-9, in order to distinguish themselves from regular BGS and Polizei (both of which wore the same green color), darkened their uniforms and still met the requirement that they be green. Which is why a black parka would be a little odd considering their uniforms were dark green. A dark green parka would make more sense.

Steve

Comment

I've been looking on the net for my parka,googelt intensivly for both GSG9 and seegrenzschutz.
                        seeing GSG9 in action my parka would only be suitable for long hours stakeouts on roofbuildings.
                        these guys look swift and don't wear body restraining clothing.
                        I've tried the parka on,it's to small,but I think it'S unsuitable for most tasks for the GSG9.
                        untill I read this thread I never even heard of seegrensschutz let alone know something about their uniform.
                        the parka must be more useable by seegrenz then anti terror units for sure.
                        I'm happy with it either way however and I'm looking forward to further information.
                        kees

Comment

For sure what you have is very uncommon and a good keeper no matter what! Even the BGS green ones are difficult to find relatively speaking. I mean, any day of the week there are several Sumpftarn ones for sale, but only occasionally do I see the green type. Obviously I've never seen the one you have!

As you say, this is a walkabout type parka, not a "combat" item. GSG-9's standard uniform is dark green, therefore one would think a complimentary parka would be dark green. And I keep coming back to those buttons

I'm thinking BGS See is the only choice that fits all the pieces of the puzzle we have in front of us.

Steve

Comment

I just heard back from my friend in Berlin. He says that it is definitely, and without a doubt, a BGS-See parka.

He has one just like it in his collection. He said that they are very hard to find and even harder to find with the original patches. I have a set of the BGS-See shoulder patches in my collection, but only one set unfortunately. I have been looking for a jacket to sew them on to with no luck so far.

Hang on to that parka!

Comment

thanks Marksharky for the final verdict.
                              this little mystery is solved .
                              I guess steve and his blue button theory must be given credit as well.
                              wich I'm glad to do.
                              thanks Steve,
                              all the best
                              kees

Comment

I'll see if my buddy can snap a few photos of his parka so I can post them as a comparison...... stay tuned.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 106 users online. 0 members and 106 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X