West German Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West German Helmets

The thread entitled "For The Bundeswehr Lover in us all" has grown lenghty and covers many topics. With over 1500 views it is obviously one of interest to those who visit the International Forum. I would like to start a reference thread on post war West German helmets and I am doing it as a separate thread so it will not get buried among other topics on the "Bundeswehr Lover" thread.
    The first one I would like to post is an M35 style helmet. This helmet was used by those men who provided fire protection/fighting skills, as well as mine rescue skills, at a Coking plant located at Consolidation pit #3/4. The decal on the side of this helmet is the only one that I have ever seen. There can not be many helmets like this in existance anymore as these mines were closed several years ago.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gordon Craig; 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM.

A close-up of the decal.
    Attached Files

Comment

A close-up shot of the makers stamp as well as the DIN number which gives the specifications this helmet was made to.
      Attached Files

Comment

A picture of the liner. Unfotunately, before I acquired it, the helmet had been stored in a very dry environment and the liner had deteriorated considerably.
        Attached Files

Comment

The next helmet will be a very early para helmet. It is virtually identical to the German para helmet of WWII. It is painted a light blue. Only 2500 of these helmets were made for trial purposes. The helmet was not officially adopted by the Bundeswehr.
          First, a front view which unfortunatley is the only external view I have on file. The helmet is in storage for the next couple of years.
          Attached Files

Comment

A view of the liner. And after that lets have some other West German helmets posted. I'll save the rest of mine until later.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

Gordon,
              Thanks for starting a new thread. Always nice to see new Bundewehr info being posted!

If the para helmet the same as the GSG9 helmet or reissue of the wartime para helmet?

Comment

Cool Helmet!

Originally posted by gordon.criag View Post
                A close-up shot of the makers stamp as well as the DIN number which gives the specifications this helmet was made to.
                Gordon - nice lid. I think the trademark is from "Firma Linneman & Schnetzer", a post-war manufacturing company located in Bavaria.

I never saw one of these before, nor was I aware of the BW's leather gaitor until you posted the footwear thread on the "BW Lovers" thread.

Great stuff! - TJ

Comment

Experimental Falli Helmets

Originally posted by gordon.criag View Post
                  The next helmet will be a very early para helmet. It is virtually identical to the German para helmet of WWII. It is painted a light blue. Only 2500 of these helmets were made for trial purposes. The helmet was not officially adopted by the Bundeswehr.
                  First, a front view which unfortunatley is the only external view I have on file. The helmet is in storage for the next couple of years.
                  Gordon - Beautiful helmet!

The attached photo shows at least two early experimental fallschirmjaeger helmets. It also illustrates use of the canvas gaitor with the Model 1956 Splinter Pattern Battle Dress Uniform.

TJ
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sprogcolletor,

The para helmet is a post war production piece while the BW was running trials to see which para helmet they would adopt. As I mentioned earlier, there were only 2500 made. They are very similar to the GSG helmets. I have a GSG 9 para style helmet and the main difference of note is the colour, khaki in a matt finish for GSG 9 plus the GSG 9 helmets have a rough textured surface. Seems to me they may have used different bolts for the liner as well but I can not trust my memory on that one!
                    TJ,

Thanks for the pic of the helmet in wear with the 1956 pattern camo. Now if I had a pair of those canvas gaitors I could do up a mannequin like the picture.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Just got this West German Police Helmet today.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for posting your helmet. Could we see the inside markings if there are any? Very interesting colour. Hopefully, I can post some of my police helmets today.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Another, and clsoer shot, of the para Versuchshelm in wear. The picture is from Ludwig Baer's book "Vom Stahlhelm zum Gefechtshelm Band 2 (1919-1994).

Regards,

Gordon
                          Attached Files

Comment

A number of West German police forces used the M53/40 styles of helmet with a decal on the side. These are hard to come by but I have been lucky enough to acquire a couple. First up is a police helmet from Baden -
                            WΓΌrttemberg.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A closer view of the decal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X