SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Bundeswehr lover in all of us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In looking at the jacket photos again, I would presume that the belt hooks are not original to it. They appear to be sewn on rather than passing through dedicated holes/supports in the jacket.

The Sandafarben cap is also interesting in its label. Clearly a modern version -- note the absence of any reference to West Germany and also English used for the company name. Compare against the 1958-dated label of the eBay listing.

Comment

Gentlemen,

It looks as though Asbjoern posted pictures of this cap on a host site which has now deleted them. So the thread makes some sense I'll post the pictrues so they remeain here.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Sandfarben cap #2.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sandfarben cap #3.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sandfarben cap #4.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

"The Sandfarben cap is also interesting in its label. Clearly a modern version -- note the absence of any reference to West Germany and also English used for the company name."

I don't believe that.

You can compare the main label with a label in another Bw cap (ebay 310160305456):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

This main label is identical. That cap is for use in Germany!
              The cap in this thread is for foreign use! And as an advertisement an additional label in English is absolutely sensible.

The modern address for Carl Isken is not the Hohenzollernring 82!

Regards
              Uwe

Comment

Uwe,
                I was merely pointing out how the label on the leather band is in English and no longer makes reference to West Germany -- which makes it a somewhat newer cap -- ie sometime after unification.

Comment

Re. Albert's flecktarn shirt -

This shirt is in the rejected "Flecktarn A" pattern but I don't believe it's an actual BW Truppenversuch item. In the late eighties - early nineties a small amount of flecktarn A items were sold here, mostly marked Sturm or TSR Rottenburg. The pieces were usually small things like m43 caps and helmet covers and I believe there was, predictably, a Waffen SS style smock, all in a very thin, flimsy material - but I've never seen a shirt. Where did it come from?

The one actual Truppenversuch flectarn A jacket I saw a picture of looked to be heavier material.

Comment

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
                    Uwe,
                    I was merely pointing out how the label on the leather band is in English and no longer makes reference to West Germany -- which makes it a somewhat newer cap -- ie sometime after unification.
                    Chris,

I doubt that it was made after reunification. It is my understanding that sandfarben headgear was discontinued in the 1960s not long after the sandfarben uniforms were introduced. Modern sandfarben uniforms are worn with the beret.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                      Chris,

I doubt that it was made after reunification. It is my understanding that sandfarben headgear was discontinued in the 1960s not long after the sandfarben uniforms were introduced. Modern sandfarben uniforms are worn with the beret.

Regards,

Gordon
                      Gordon,
                      You very well could be correct. Wasn't there some issue back in the 1960s regarding distinction between 'Made in Germany' vs 'Made in West Germany' vs 'Made in East Germany'? Maybe this was just an export issue? Since all of my caps are military contract items, none make mention of country of origin. The same is true of the crown logo on the Isken cap shown. It's just the leather band that's marked as 'Germany'.

Having grown up during the Cold War, I'm still hard-wired to the terms East and West Germany despite reunification now being nearly 20 years ago.

Comment

Sandfarben

There are two distinct types of tan uniform issued to the Bundeswehr. The cap in the picture belongs to the Heer /Luftwaffe issue from the sixties, long out of service. The Bundesmarine khaki uniform is apparently still in service. The sixties era Heer/Luftwaffe uniform was made out of a cotton-polyester blend and has a very distinct sheen to it. It's more of a tan or beige color, almost like US Army "pinks".
                        The Bundesmarine uniform was (is?) all cotton, and khaki. I have a tunic that is very "Kriegsmarine" looking in this class of uniform. I believe there is a picture of Fighter ace Erich Hartmann wearing the old sixties tan uniform in the Toliver biography of him.

Comment

Allen,

Sandfarben is still authorized issue for all three servcies of the BW as illustrated in ZDv37/10. See my thread on sandfarben uniforms at http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=370770

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

So there it is

I stand corrected. I've only seen Bundesmarine people wearing their tan uniform and all the examples of the Heer/Luftwaffe version were from the sixties; they were common in army navy stores in Atlanta back in the late eighties. I'm right though, at least in my experience, in the differences between the Bundesmarine and Heer/Luftwaffe uniforms; they are (were?) two different uniforms.

By the way, some of the Heer/Luftwaffe type jackets had pointed shulterklappen, others the rounded type, but all were about the same date -?

Comment

Allen,

Yes, the original shoulderboards were sandfarben in colour and were pointed. In 1963 the regulations changed and each service wore their own shoulderboards. The original round ended boards were a little narower than those of a later date.
                              Also, you are quite correct about the early uniforms being different than current ones. The turn back cuffs were discontinued and the composition of the material appears to have changed. Although, I haven't been able to do much research in the material used area due to the lack of uniforms available to me for study.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

`

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 93 users online. 0 members and 93 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X