AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Bundeswehr lover in all of us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a footnote to my earlier post regarding the LSU cap. "WARCOM" on the label is not War Commission (which was existent in the postwar years) but rather Western Area Command (US Army Europe). Correction courtesy of Siebert Mann -- the gent who runs the site detailing the LSU, etc.

Siebert also comfirmed that the Kokarde is not part of the LSU uniform (and was obviously added at a later date) along with confirmation that this is indeed an LSU officer cap (I had questioned if the correct term was 'LSU officer' or 'LSU official' -- considering the non-military nature of LSU?).
    Last edited by SprogCollector; 10-19-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

LSU Patch Identified

Originally posted by speedytop View Post
      Hi,

LSU = Labor Service Unit(s)

http://www.usfava.com/LaborService/

I think, that the cockade is added later (cockade is not in center), please see the pictures here:

http://www.usfava.com/LaborService/bilder.htm

Regards
      Uwe
      Uwe - I've had this patch kicking around for years and now I finally know what it is.

Great posting - Vielen Dank!

TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

No luck on the wings...

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
        I had some really great background info on the very earliest BW uniforms. Lost most of it when my CD burner flaked-out on me and overwrote the CD when I tried to add a few items to the files.

The WARCOM on the label of the M-43 cap stipulates a WAR COMMISSION order. Apparently the formation of the Bundeswehr was overseen by the occupying powers? In any event, the earliest uniforms were heavily influenced by the US. The branch insignia was clearly US-based and the helmets/webbing also appears to be US stock.

The Bundesluftwaffe M-43 is only a year newer but reverts to the more familiar format seen on later BW issue items. The missing badge on this cap resembles the wing seen on the visor cap badge (minus the wreath). Here's an image from an earlier posting which shows a superb uniform grouping to General Mahlke.

I'm not well versed on Zoll uniforms. I originally bought it due it being described as an early BGS cap.
        Herr Sprog - No luck on the wings I'm afraid.

I've got the small swords found on the old style Heer cap and the large style wings found on the Bundesluftwaffe "bus driver" hat, but no small wings.

Good luck in the hunt - TJ/G5

Comment

Old School Fotos of the Week

These photos offer a good contrast of officer and enlisted field dress c.1959.

G5
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi TJ, hi G5

that is correct with the small wings.

They were, for that type of cap (Dienstmütze/Bergmütze), for all soldiers in bronze, only for generals in gold (gilded).

And that part, in bronze, is missing on the "Dienstmütze" on the left.

Regards
            Uwe

Comment

Hello gordon griag,

a short information: it´s one of the latest visor cap of the Bundeswehr, Feldjäger. The visor caps from the early years are dark grey.

With best regards

FELDWEBEL68

Originally posted by gordon.criag View Post
              Gents,

Here is an early Bundeswehr peaked cap that I won on an ebay.de auction this weekend. It is a piped hat with a WWII makers. The photos speak for themselves.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Another note for Gordon

Gordon - You're a popular guy.

What do you make of this Sandfarben BW M-43 on Manion's?

The caudesus and yellow cord are obviously added on, but the Navy button and green trimmed brim seem authentic.

Anything in that awesome reference library of yours that can shed light on this subject?

TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Top View

Top view of the M-43 style cap.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interior View

Interior view of M-43 style sandfarben cap.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Feldwebel68,

Thanks for your comments. I'll do a post later about this cap. My wife wants to take advantage of the great weather (no rain to day in Budapest!) and go somewhere outside in the city.

Regards,

Gordon
                      Last edited by Gordon Craig; 11-01-2007, 04:04 AM.

Comment

G5,

Thanks for showing the cap from Manions. I haven't seen it on their site but will look today. If they were giving it away I might take it. First of all, to the best of my knowledge, the BW never had an M43 style cap in Sandfarben. I have never seen a BW M43 style cap with leather trim on the brim either. The gold sewn in around the cap with yellow thread is a real laugh. I've dealt with Manions for about 30 years and they are a good source for interesting items (when they have no idea what they have) and are always good for a laugh.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Feldwebel68 View Post
                          Hello gordon griag,

a short information: it´s one of the latest visor cap of the Bundeswehr, Feldjäger. The visor caps from the early years are dark grey.

With best regards

FELDWEBEL68
                          FELDWEBEL68,

Time now to discuss the cap. I can not say a lot more than I have because the cap has never arrived. Stiil rtying to get the vendor to respond to my emails asking where the cap is. I agree that early caps were a darker colour. For example those produced from 1950s to early 60s. I said this was an early cap, and the term "early" is open to intrepretation, because of the makers markings on the sweat shield. (post #62) The wartime manufacturers, and I believe this cap was made by a firm that made caps during WWII, used this type of makers mark into the 60s when they started to use different markings and included the NATO stock numbers on their caps. By "early" I meant in the early 60s. If you have other information about the use of these maker marks I would be glad to hear what you have to say.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Photo on ebay this week of early Bundeswehr. Seller claim late 1950s but G3 in forground means actually it must be early-mid 1960s. What is interesting is that regular Heer troops are definitely wearing jackboots.

I see BW Gemaschen for sale sometimes but never seen photo of them in use. When were they used? Did BW have some kind of Schnurschuhe?

Klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus,

here you can see the "Gamaschen" in 1965 in wear with "Schnürschuhe".

Regards
                              Uwe

Comment

Uwe:
                                Danke für das Foto! The Gemaschen there look like the leather version - the olive canvas ones seem more common in the militaria market.

I am interested in when jackboots were issued to Heer for field use. Besides Wachbataillon, I thought BGS was who used them but photo I posted proves regular Bundeswehr troops used them.

Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 37 users online. 0 members and 37 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X