British Helmet Camo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Helmet Camo?

Would appreciate opinions on this British helmet of mine. It appears to have been a camouflage. Thanks Jackboot
    Attached Files

British Helmet Camo?

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

British Helmet Camo?

Inside of helmet.
      Attached Files

Comment

British Helmet Camo?

Last pictures. Stamped 7 Vero I 1938. Thanks Jackboot
        Attached Files

Comment

it appears to have started life as a grey green home front helmet, then has a black ARP/Warden overpaint and then some green and brown paint on top. Perhaps he transferred from ARP to home guard.

Comment

British Helmet Camo?

Very interesting thanks. So an Air Raid Precaution Warden Helmet or Home Front or both. Possible W on the covered black paint? No holes drilled into the rim to indicate inferior quality (not for combat use).
            Is this a MK I ? Vero? Jackboot

Comment

Originally posted by jackboot View Post
              Very interesting thanks. So an Air Raid Precaution Warden Helmet or Home Front or both. Possible W on the covered black paint? No holes drilled into the rim to indicate inferior quality (not for combat use).
              Is this a MK I ? Vero? Jackboot
              Most early MKII's went to the home front and the army used MKI*'s, only later were the inferior grade helmets produced and issued to the home front, home guard or whomever.

Can you see any markings on the underside of the shell, often near the lugs but not always? That would show if it is a MKII or MKI*.

MKI liners were fitted to both types before the MKII liner was introduced.

Comment

If there are markings they are covered up by the paint. I could not see any. Thank you for the information though.
                Jackboot

Comment

...coming to this one a bit late...sorry. But I agree with Sherlock Bond. I love these paint-stacked ones...'started as one thing and then transition through other uses (and colours). I see too many with a perfectly rectangular stripped bare metal section revealing the shell stamps.....why do people do that?....rest in the assurance that it's a Brit lid, made during (or possibly pre) war and that the steel came from a specifically numbered batch...I suspect you ain't gonna find out any more than that :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Black Bands View Post
                    ...coming to this one a bit late...sorry. But I agree with Sherlock Bond. I love these paint-stacked ones...'started as one thing and then transition through other uses (and colours). I see too many with a perfectly rectangular stripped bare metal section revealing the shell stamps.....why do people do that?....rest in the assurance that it's a Brit lid, made during (or possibly pre) war and that the steel came from a specifically numbered batch...I suspect you ain't gonna find out any more than that :-)
                    I can only assume that people want to see if it is a MKI* rather than a MKII, do you know if it is possible to tell the difference without seeing the shell stampings

Comment

The brim width varies an lot on an Mk1* than an Mk2.
                      Steel rim, or sometimes no rim at all. (they did have stainless steel rims too)
                      Mk1 chin strap lugs only on Mk1*.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X