No announcement yet.

GREAT WAR PHOTOS ,a few more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Greeves! Your grandmother certainly was a rose.

Comment

My Great Uncle Private Patrick Emerson, 5th Royal Irish Lancers taken at Doulieu, France 1914.
      His story can be read here:

http://www.royalirishlancers.co.uk/family.htm

Comment

Hiya ,SUPER WEDDING PHOTO ,
        Now the big question .....what happened to that cracking medal group regards ,Michael

Comment

Interesting to see the photo taken at Oxney Farm Camp in Bordon.
          My wife works in Bordon (Hampshire) as a District Nurse, and there is still a heavy army presence here.
          Lots of Barracks, Army Depots and Firing Ranges.

Comment

Dos anyone have shots where folks are wearing the Lee metford bayonet instead of the regular Enfield one?

Comment

Very nice horse in that 5th Lancers photo.

My great uncle was with the 14th Hussars at that time and his regiment was issued with Argentinian ponies....and mule type crosses, not nice hunters like that. But maybe those ponies would live longer in the desert?

Even though the 14th made several charges perhaps brass thought good horses should not be wasted on a regiment which concentrated on being a shoot em up unit.

Steve.
              Last edited by yellow; 07-14-2005, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Clp Issac Stevenson RFA.

Hi Guys, here is my contribution to this thread.

This is my Grandad and Grandma, "Ike" and Hilda Stevenson. This photo was taken in 1918. They got engaged in 1914 and married in 1918 when my Grandad came home from the Western front. Lez wears my Grandma's engagment ring from when we got engaged 5 years ago and I wear my Grandad's wedding ring as mine. They were married for 60 years.

The ammo bandoleer was worn by my Dad when he used to play soldiers as a kid. Sadly this dissappered in the 1950's. Dad thinks Grandma threw it out when he was doing his National Service.

Cheers, Ade.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                  Recognised grandad straight away from the earlier thread.
                  An unimportant detail - can't remember now, but does'nt one of the photos you posted before show the bar on the 1914 Star far higher thon the ribbon than on this photo, & more like this positioning on the re-ribboned medal?
                  You're absolutely right, Leigh I just wish I knew which photo came first, the portrait with the bar up high on the ribbon or this wedding photo. He's an RSM in both shots and I know he held the position around 5 or 6 years. I'll guess that the portrait shot was earlier...but that's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                    Very nice horse in that 5th Lancers photo.

My great uncle was with the 14th Hussars at that time and his regiment was issued with Argentinian ponies....and mule type crosses, not nice hunters like that. But maybe those ponies would live longer in the desert?

Even though the 14th made several charges perhaps brass thought good horses should not be wasted on a regiment which concentrated on being a shoot em up unit.

Steve.
                    14th Hussars eh? Nice one.
                    I have their regimental history from WWI. it was sent to me in error when i ordered the regimental history of the 4th Hussars. Do you have this book? Its published by Naval and Military Press.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                      Hiya ,SUPER WEDDING PHOTO ,
                      Now the big question .....what happened to that cracking medal group regards ,Michael
                      Medals are still with the family - in fact I had them in my grubby little hands last week while I was visiting my parents in British Columbia. Here they are from a previous post: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...6&postcount=25

Comment

Ade and Ciaran: very nice family shots, thanks for posting them!

Comment

A Few More...

By the end of these next few posts I think everyone will have guessed which regiment I collect to...

A young officer and his sisters? Girlfriends? Both? The one on the left has a nice regimental sweetheart broach at her throat.
                          Attached Files

Comment

These are all postcards by the way...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Like so many others of his era - I doubt if he was old enough to shave...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Last one. This one is the most poignant in my collection. Even with the posed shot and the pretty background, the floorboards are dirty, the man's boots and putties are muddy, his hands are filthy - and though he manages to crack a smile, you can see just how tired he is in his eyes. Clearly he is just out of the front line.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X