Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wounded stripe

Hello,

Can anyone give me some info on the British wounded stripe? When were they instituted (WWI?) and are there copies on the market?

I have a few and one of them is a little suss (very clean) but I'd like to find a nice sew on cloth stripe. Is there anything noticable on the copies?

Thanks for your help

Tony

Hello Tony,

I think they came in during WW1 but I could be wrong. I have 2 metal ones on a Canadian WW2 Stretcher Bearers BD. Occasionally you see the metal ones sold on ebay but not very often. Never heard there were fakes being done but with re-enactment big these days thats a possibility. Post what you have and we can take a look.

Comment

World War One: I have an Irish Division tunic from 1918/19 (it was there) and it has two of them on the sleeve.

Comment

Definitely WWI and I've never seen a repro.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas
          Hello Tony,

I think they came in during WW1 but I could be wrong. I have 2 metal ones on a Canadian WW2 Stretcher Bearers BD. Occasionally you see the metal ones sold on ebay but not very often. Never heard there were fakes being done but with re-enactment big these days thats a possibility. Post what you have and we can take a look.
          Hello Des,

Here's a pic on 3 I have from the back. The stripe in the middle is the one that prompted the fake question.

Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tony, I cannot ever recall seeing what I thought of as a fake one of these? I don't think there would be any demand for these from re-enactors either, not the sort of thing many people would wear.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for that Ade, I like these stripes and am hoping I can pick up a few variations now and then.

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

They look good. You dont encounter them much (either on uniforms or loose) so they are fairly scarce I think.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers.

Cheers

Tony

Comment

I would agree that these are fairly scarce, they don't seem to have been issued anywhere at the same rate at which Commonwealth men were wounded.

I have not encountered any examples of these that I would consider as copies, however, there are numerous variations.

WWI and some WWII examples appear to have been metal badges sewn into the sleeve. I have seen WWII uniforms with cloth/bullion examples sewn onto the sleeve.

Here are a couple I have for comparison. Both came from the same WWI medal group.

Cheers,

Adam
                    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse...no maker marks or other information on the backing plates...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Adam,

The wound stripes on my Canadian SB Battdress are exactly like yours. Also of interest is that the medic badge on the Battledress is also WW1 vintage. I guess the Canadians had alot of WW1 stock in storage when WW2 came around!?

Comment

I didn't know they were so hard to find. Here are all 4 of mine only from the front this time.

Tony
                          Attached Files

Comment

Des,

I would agree...I think a lot of items were warehoused at the end of WWI, and then put into use during WWII. Insignia of all types of WWI vintage was used during the inter-war and early WWII period. A prime example is the first 5,000 or so Memorial Crosses for WWII which were Geo V strikings...presumably drawn from existing stocks and used until the Geo. VI versions were available.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Can't find my metal ones, these are the only cloth ones that I've got.
                              Wound stripes came in during 1916 & went out, I think, in 1922.
                              There's a bit about them in Brian Leigh Davis's British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WWII (Arms & Armour Press, 1983).
                              He states that during WWII a 1 1/2" strip of gold braid was worn to signify wounds sustained 1939 - 45, & 1 1/2" of red braid for wounds sustained during WWI.
                              One of the old Crown Imperial's has an article on the WWI version, but I can't find it.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-24-2005, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X