Clear All

Very nice and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
    Junior.

Comment

Nice Stuff

Dziendobry gentlemen,

K,

Your items are very interesting. I am especially interested because my Grandfather also served with the 2 SBSK in Africa and Italy.

Andy,

Gary is right. The Cross of Merit that you have bought is the incorrect one. As he said it would have had a set of swords between the ribbon and loop on the medal. I suspect that he probably would have been issued one of Palestinian manufacture. I can post a photo of such a cross when I get home to my computer.

I also noticed that the eagle looks like it's made of plastic. Am I correct?

It's also interesting to note that in the group of documents there is one very special one. It seems that your Grandfather was a sapper in the 5 Kresowa Infantry Div. as I see that there is a Legytemacja for this badge. This is the very first time that I have seen one of these as the paper rarely survived good old Father Time. I'd love to get a closer photo of the inside and outside if possible.

If you're interested I have some extra 5 KDP badges that I've amassed over the years. Drop me a PM and I'll send you some photos.

Cheers,
      Greg

Comment

Some great stuff. Love the polish items If any of you have a spare set of "Poland" shoulder titles preferably used examples please let me know, I need some to put on a BD.

Comment

Des,
          I've got a pair of silk (1944 -1947 Dutch made) ones, but the are in mint condition.
          They are nearly the same as I have on a Polish BD.
          If they are of any use, let me know and I send them to you.
          Marc

Originally posted by Des Thomas
          Some great stuff. Love the polish items If any of you have a spare set of "Poland" shoulder titles preferably used examples please let me know, I need some to put on a BD.

Comment

As Promised

Hello Andy,

As promised a couple of photos of the proper Cross of Merit to your grouping. I'll bet that this is identical to the one that your Grandfather was issued. It is of Middle Eastern manufacture and would have been issued to all eligible 2nd Corps soldiers. It's easily discernable from other Crosses of Merit by it's crude appearance. This particular example belonged to my late Granddad. I have seen a fellow trying to sell one of these on eBay from time to time with no luck. I will notify you if I see it pop up again. Hope that helped.

Cheers,
            Greg

Comment

The Reverse

The backside.

Comment

Great stuff from all of you

Gary
                Originally posted by Karpathian
                Some photos from Africa and Itally campaign

Comment

super items !!! i too collect polish items but not on as big a scale as you guys ,
                  many thanks for showing ,Michael.

Comment

More pics

Originally posted by GregK
                    Dziendobry gentlemen,

K,

Your items are very interesting. I am especially interested because my Grandfather also served with the 2 SBSK in Africa and Italy.

Andy,

Gary is right. The Cross of Merit that you have bought is the incorrect one. As he said it would have had a set of swords between the ribbon and loop on the medal. I suspect that he probably would have been issued one of Palestinian manufacture. I can post a photo of such a cross when I get home to my computer.

I also noticed that the eagle looks like it's made of plastic. Am I correct?

It's also interesting to note that in the group of documents there is one very special one. It seems that your Grandfather was a sapper in the 5 Kresowa Infantry Div. as I see that there is a Legytemacja for this badge. This is the very first time that I have seen one of these as the paper rarely survived good old Father Time. I'd love to get a closer photo of the inside and outside if possible.

If you're interested I have some extra 5 KDP badges that I've amassed over the years. Drop me a PM and I'll send you some photos.

Cheers,
                    Greg
                    Hi Greg

Thanks for the response. The eagle is metal. I enclose a couple of closer pics. I also enclose pics for the document you requested and hope this is the correct one. I do have a few badges which I believe are to the correct units for my gramp and would appreciate your confirmation of this(picture enclosed)
                    Finally, I enclose pictures of other documents in the collection and wander if you are able to identify them for me. It would be nice to match the award to the document after all these years.Many thanks for your help so far, I am on the lookout for the correct medal to complete the group.
                    Regards
                    Andy
                    Attached Files

Comment

eagle rear

eagle rear
                      Attached Files

Comment

badge certificate

badge certificate
                        Attached Files

Comment

unidentified document 1

unidentified document 1
                          Attached Files

Comment

unidentified document 2

unidentified document 2
                            Attached Files

Comment

unidentified document 3

unidentified document 3
                              Attached Files

Comment

unidentified document 4

unidentified document 4
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X