Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
    It does look like Rommel indeed.

The number 225 would be the socalled chalk number, it allowed the men to recognise their designated glider. I'm not sure if there is a complete list of these.

Luc
    I have just been watching a documentary on National Geo, and saw footage of gliders with numbers on, one was 292 actually, and its towing aircraft had the same number on it, perhaps it was to indicate which towing aircraft towed which glider ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
      only refrence i can find to 225 is a airborne medics unit
      That would be 225 parachute field ambulance, 6th Airborne division. It is unrelated to the chalk number.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
        That would be 225 parachute field ambulance, 6th Airborne division. It is unrelated to the chalk number.

Luc
        I think I already mentioned that, 225 Para Field Ambulance were Para troops anyway, not Glider troops

Why would the towing aircraft have the same number on it ? .....

You were right Luc !

EDIT: Just found this information

Chalk numbers were applied to both the glider and tug for D-Day operations. They were also applied to para-dropping aircraft - Stirlings, Dakotas, etc. The main reason appears to be to make sure that the soldiers got in the right aircraft. It appears that chalk numbers were unique on any one day - each airfield was allocated a batch of chalknumbers, and the squadrons then wrote their allocated batch on the aircraft they intended to use. Pongo's would then load the cargo onto the planes carrying the relavant chalk number, and any passengers would load up too. The same aircraft when used on the next mission would have a different chalk number - obviously not most gliders as they were usually one time use!

The chalk number/serial number tie ups are known for most of the aircraft on D-Day, and for the 6 gliders used on the Coup-de-Main assault on Pegasus Bridge. However, the tie-ups for the remaining gliders used on 6th-7th June are (mostly) not known
        Last edited by Totenhead; 01-21-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I have just found this referance:

All the CNs for gliders in Operation Tonga, Normandy Landings

Its sods law but 225 is not listed !!!!

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aero...php?page=tonga

Cheers
          Martin

Comment

if legible, the chalk number on the Hamilcar may assist. there are no " invasion recognition stripes " on this glider which would be most unusual for a D-Day op. depends how related the photographs are.

Comment

Originally posted by zipper View Post
              if legible, the chalk number on the Hamilcar may assist. there are no " invasion recognition stripes " on this glider which would be most unusual for a D-Day op. depends how related the photographs are.
              That's a very good point, didn't pay much attention to that to be honest, its not a Hotspur glider as previously mentioned.

Only 34 Hamilcar's took part in Operation Mallard apparently, the 3rd Op on D-Day

Its interesting that in the picture of the Hamilcar, it appears that its Aileron's are down, which would indicate that its coming into land.

If this guy went in with Todd in the 2nd Op, then he would already be on the ground and be able to take the picture ??.....

Comment

can the chalk number be discerned to a relative degree of accuracy ?

PS substitute flaps for ailerons

Comment

What about 24 march 1945, operation varsity. There was a railroad emplacment nearby the dropping zone. Pictures are from 6th AB as i understand. Maybe acollection from his service true Europe.

Jeroen

Comment

Sad to see these guys died like that. Risk their lives for freedom and not even one footstep in France before death.

Comment

The Coup de Main gliders at the Orne and Caen Canal bridges were chalk numbers: 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 and 96.

I can't find CN225 anywhere for D-Day; 222, 223 and 261 being the nearest.

The photo of CN225 does not look like Normandy in June to me, the tree has no leaves and the whole area more resembles the LZs used for Varsity in '45?

Its possible this ladies father did land on D-Day and also Varsity and the wires of time have become crossed so that she believes these are photos of his aircraft on D-Day but they are all in fact of the Rhine crossing?

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Squeakyclean View Post
                        The Coup de Main gliders at the Orne and Caen Canal bridges were chalk numbers: 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 and 96.

I can't find CN225 anywhere for D-Day; 222, 223 and 261 being the nearest.

The photo of CN225 does not look like Normandy in June to me, the tree has no leaves and the whole area more resembles the LZs used for Varsity in '45?

Its possible this ladies father did land on D-Day and also Varsity and the wires of time have become crossed so that she believes these are photos of his aircraft on D-Day but they are all in fact of the Rhine crossing?

Matt

Thank you all for your replies, and yes the ladies memory and time line might well be off a bit, hopefully she will return with the other photos of her father and friends in the aircraft before take off, those would be ineresting

Comment

Hello , interesting lot ,

Im sure ???? the photo of the glider up against the fence I have seen before ??? think it was a long since published book sticks in my mind the book was about the Rhine crossing - NOT Normandy but the photo may well be Normandy and used out of context .....

Ref : the bombed trains IF this was a proper forum with proper collectors like ` RAILWAY MODELER` some one out there could tell you what countries rolling stock is on view ? an what age an what colour an what month it left the factory and in wich country is this style of signal box ...........?

As daft as it seems that may be a place to start ?
                          Last edited by grandads-kitbag; 02-04-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X