Normandy Glider Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normandy Glider Photo

Photos were brought in by an elderly couple yesterday, its from a series they have from the ladies father who went in with Todds section on Pegasus bridge, She has others of her father taken inside the aircraft before take off, she doesnt want to sell which is understandable but said she will bring items in for me to photograph to share here with fellow members, the photo of this glider according to her was from that action, now we all know wartime stories can be stretched thru the years with no intention of malice, just time does that, my question is, can the glider be Identified from its number, looks like 225? The rest of the pics are para related even the shots of destroyed marshalling yards as one paratrooper can be seen in a couple of the photos, according to the lady its the Cherbourg area, anyway i look forward to your comments
    Attached Files

There were no British Para's deployed on the Cotentin Peninsula ??

Seems to be an odd mix of photo's ?

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
      There were no British Para's deployed on the Cotentin Peninsula ??

Seems to be an odd mix of photo's ?
      Oh boy

Comment

Heres a couple of more shots from the photos, both have paras in them, not front line but i pressume during some time on RnR , as mentioned the question i was asking, can the glider be ID'd from the number?
        Attached Files

Comment

There would have been no British Airborne anywhere near Cherbourg on D-Day or afterwards as this was the US sector.

She may be getting confused with Le Havre ?? There may have been British Airborne troops up that way later on, they did drop dummy Para's over Le Havre on D-Day however

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
            Heres a couple of more shots from the photos, both have paras in them, not front line but i pressume during some time on RnR , as mentioned the question i was asking, can the glider be ID'd from the number?
            I would imagine the glider could be ID'd from the number, they all had specific numbers, I suppose its finding the records would be tricky .....

Comment

Here is one more from the wreckage series, i presume taken on the same day. As for it being Cherburg area, well thats what the lady said and i have no doubt that she fully belives it, but time does things to the memory as we all know.
              Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps it is Cabourg near Sword beach, not Cherbourg.
                One picture seems to show a Hotspur glider, which was not used in combat.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                  Perhaps it is Cabourg near Sword beach, not Cherbourg.
                  One picture seems to show a Hotspur glider, which was not used in combat.

Luc
                  Good point, i did look at that glider and couldn't decide what it was

One of the pictures also show what i think is Rommel ?????? how did the vet acquire that ???

Comment

It does look like Rommel indeed.

The number 225 would be the socalled chalk number, it allowed the men to recognise their designated glider. I'm not sure if there is a complete list of these.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                      It does look like Rommel indeed.

The number 225 would be the socalled chalk number, it allowed the men to recognise their designated glider. I'm not sure if there is a complete list of these.

Luc
                      It is Rommel, just a couple of German pics the vet picked up, as for the glider in question , it does seem that the numbers were chalked on, only refrence i can find to 225 is a airborne medics unit , the daughter told me he was a medic, but would the unit deignation be the number chalked on the glider? The search goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                        One of the pictures also show what i think is Rommel ?????? how did the vet acquire that ???

Like every other piece of Nazi gear brought back, he picked it up.

Comment

Fabulous photos the one with all the dead bodies is quite gruesome , Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                            Fabulous photos the one with all the dead bodies is quite gruesome , Rob
                            Are those parts of bodies do you think to the left of the crater ?.. i did give it a thought

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
                              It is Rommel, just a couple of German pics the vet picked up, as for the glider in question , it does seem that the numbers were chalked on, only refrence i can find to 225 is a airborne medics unit , the daughter told me he was a medic, but would the unit deignation be the number chalked on the glider? The search goes on.
                              I think i may have read the same information, the 225th (Parachute) Field Ambulance were assigned to 6th Airborne in Normandy, but were parachute troops. Of the 7 Airborne ambulances, only the 181st and the 195th were glider borne troops however......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X