EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help identify this para wing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiya ,
    a very interesting badge ....

i would love this to be a war time badge ,even an un official one but i suppose that means another badge to go out and hunt for
    IF ....I am correct, the badge represents GREGORY +QUILTER the makers of the parachutes used by the airborne forces and i presume Airforce ??
    if we could find out the criteria how the badges were `given out ` this may help in ID `ing you cloth badge .
    a few ideas :
    were the badges just given out by the makers ?.....say a box sent a long with each batch of new parachutes as a novelty ?
    or were they sold in the NAFFI ?
    Could they only be worn after completion of the jump courses ?
    if G.Q manufacted chutes for civi sport parachuting ( i belive this was an established sport pre ww2) could civilians obtain / buy them ?
    was the lack of the GQ letters on the cloth badge because its a civillian only badge ?
    this is why i love this forum , its got me juices flowing again !!!
    does any one know if the firm is still in existance , i wounder if they are if they have an archive ,somewhere there must be some record on this badge ?
    many thanks for showing ,Michael.

Comment

Here are a few more para wings.

Hello,
      Thought I would put some more wings on the forum for comment as it seems the majority of my collection is variations of known wings? Any comments are appreciated especially if it keeps people motivated and interested in the hobby / addiction!
      Thanks Paul
      Attached Files

Comment

The back. A little bit fuzzy, sorry.
        Attached Files

Comment

This one's fairly unique.

Never seen another one like it. Comments please.
          Attached Files

Comment

The back. I can post a better photo if requested?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by P.Manoel; 12-16-2004, 07:33 AM. Reason: Clearer photo

Comment

Hi Michael, the badges were handed out on the same parade as the Parachute wings according to all the Vets I have interviewed. Many still have their badges. They were certainly not a purchase item as far as I know?

The lack of the "GQ" letters is the really puzzeling bit. Why would a Company give these out as a "PR" exercise and then not include the Company name. This would not make sence.

The Company are still making 'chutes today. Here is the website:

http://www.irvingq.co.uk/information/history.asp

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hiya ADE ,
                The details about the wings being handed out with the jump wings is a priceless bit of information , many thanks for sharing this .
                yep .....that did cross my mind ref: why produce a wing as a advertisement then leave off the company logo ??
                this has got me very intrigued ?????????
                regards ,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X