GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help identify this para wing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help identify this para wing?

Hello,
    Here is an unusual wing that looks like a standard British para wing, but has the extensions to the wings at the bottom? Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by P.Manoel; 12-15-2004, 04:43 AM.

More help please with this Para Wing?

Hello,
    Another wing I can't ID? Any help out out there?
    Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by P.Manoel; 12-15-2004, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul, these are just a makers variation. But a nice original wing

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Paul, sorry I canot help on this one. Not a variant I have seen before with this very vivid blue wings and shaped parachute.

I have forgot to welcome you to the forum! I have been too busy looking at all this nice stuff you have posted up

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Adrian,
          I think the blue is more stark in the picture than it actually is. I have attached a photo of the back of the wings for you. I believe it to be WW2 as it came from the same collector who sold me the Dodecanese badge. Don't worry about the welcome I am having a ball reading all the old threads. They are a gold mine of information.
          Thanks
          Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

G'day Adrian,

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards
            Paul

Comment

Cloth GQ wing, What the???

Hello,
              I thought I would post this wing in this thread because it is a weird one. The wing, as you can see, resembles a large GQ parachutist wing? If anyone have any information about this it would be great.
              Thanks Paul
              Attached Files

Comment

Paul,

Your first wing is very nice and as Ade says perfectly original. I am not so sure about the cloth GQ wing though?. I have never heard of this before and would be doubtful in believing it is WW2 in origin. I have posted some wartime metal GQ badges below.

p.s Why is the GQ missing from the cloth version?

Originally posted by P.Manoel
                Hello,
                I thought I would post this wing in this thread because it is a weird one. The wing, as you can see, resembles a large GQ parachutist wing? If anyone have any information about this it would be great.
                Thanks Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

This is a new one on me too Des, never seen a cloth "version" of the GQ wing. Very unusual what ever it is?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The reason I would doubt it is because the badge was a souvenir badge and not official. Parachutists wore them usually on their best dress to impress the ladies but with a cloth version they would have had to sew them on. Sewing on a non official badge to your uniform? Very unlikely. At least with the metal badges you could pop them off at a moments notice.

[QUOTE=Adrian Stevenson]This is a new one on me too Des, never seen a cloth "version" of the GQ wing. Very unusual what ever it is?

Comment

By the way if anyone has seen that film "Carve her name with pride" they do a close up of the main charactor holding a cloth para wing and standard GQ badge. I thought that was good

Comment

Great WW2 period piece of cloth Paul

I like this variant

Many thanks, from Jack

Comment

Another nice badge Paul

Although it is rather new looking this does not worry me. Looks like a nice far east type variant

Thanks, from Jack

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments. The cloth wing that looks like the GQ Parachutist wings has got me stumped. Like Des said it wasn't an official piece of insignia so why make a cloth version and why doesn't this wing have the 'GQ' on the wing? I went down the path of thinking about the French forces, 1re Compagnie d' Infanterie de l'Air, who w ore the medal GQ badge as its wing, but information is certainly scarce about this unit. I have attached a photo of the rear of the wing to show the construction, but I think this will forever remain a mystery. At least it got us talking about airborne insignia and that's always a good thing. Thanks for all your help.
                            Paul
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hiya ,
                              very nice wing ya have there
                              i like the way its been cut to shape a long the bottom edge ,thanks for showing
                              keep them coming ,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X