EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWI Brodie helmet with unit insignia. Need some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ben, I really like the look of this helmet

How long have you been into WW1 collecting? I did not realise that you were interested in this too?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

is the helmet compleet with liner?

Comment

I don't think that the bugle insignia is linked to the DLI - it's not got a crown at the top, it's more the shape of the Ox & Bucks LI & Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry bugle - ie the basic unadorned version - you could almost call it the "general service" stringed or be-ribboned bugle.

A bugle was the insignia of 8 Corps, but I don't know if it was worn on uniform or headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
          I don't think that the bugle insignia is linked to the DLI - it's not got a crown at the top, it's more the shape of the Ox & Bucks LI & Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry bugle - ie the basic unadorned version - you could almost call it the "general service" stringed or be-ribboned bugle.

A bugle was the insignia of 8 Corps, but I don't know if it was worn on uniform or headgear.
          i myself was thinking that to
          but not sure at this moment
          this is a pic of a cap that i had some years ago

and this is the OX and Buck's

Comment

Checked the RFA numbering system. Wilsons number is not a territorial number.

The bugle is a very generic symbol. I am convinced it is a Div sign......I first thought it might of been a badge to identify a county battery of artillery.

Tracing Wilson back to his place of birth will be a very difficult task because his surname is so common. If this was my helmet I would take the same route as I would for medal research. If you are really interested in establishing exactly what happened to Wilson you should do some research at the National Archives or employ a good researcher such as J. Collins. Wilsons service papers may have survived the the Blitz.

The information CONFIRMING Wilson served with the Royal Field Artillery (only) came from his medal index card at the National Archives. You can obtain a copy online for £3.50.

Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive POW roll for WW1. Potentially Wilson could of lost his headgear for any number of reasons.

At least there is a happy ending to this story........we do know Wilson survived the war........in what shape who can say?

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve,

thank you very much for the aditional info!!
              Could you send me the link to the National Archives?

Ade, I love WWI British Tommy items. However I only pick them up when they have a certain appeal to me or some history behind them.
              This started when I was a 10-year old who picked up a bend Lee Enfield from the Somme battlefield during a summer holiday. Couldn't believe my luck!

Comment

BTW,

doesn't the abbreviation "SIG" in front of the name mean "Signalman"?

Comment

Hi Ben, here is the link you wanted:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/

"Sig" would stand for Signalman I would think.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,

thanks mate!

Comment

Nice helmet, Ben. I love the brodies with unit markings.

Comment

Hi Lee,
                        thanks!

I'm expecting its twin brother soon. Another Brodie from the same trench/dugout that was captured by the same German soldier.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X