MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWI Brodie helmet with unit insignia. Need some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Brodie helmet with unit insignia. Need some help.

Today I received this WWI British Brodie helmet. I'm quite happy with it as I have been searching for a nice one for quite sometime now.
    The helmet has two visible insignia stencilled on it, the Royal Artillery SI and a Hunting Horn. On the right side of the helmet there is a large rectangular emblem which has been painted over. Doe anyone have a clue as to where these service insignia stand for, and where on the Western Front they possibly served?

There is a white pad on the inside of of the dome of the helmet. I have been told that his is made from asbestos. Is there any truth to this?

I would appreciate any help given.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

On closer inspection I found the owners name and serial #.
              It says:

SIG. J. W. WILSON

Checked the CWCG site and he's not listed as KIA or MIA on there.

Signalman attached to RA?
              Attached Files

Comment

His ASN
                Attached Files

Comment

James Wilson served with the Royal Field Artillery with the rank of Driver during WW1.
                  I`ll have a guess from that number and say he was territorial soldier with perhaps a Durham Battery?....I can see everyone reaching for the Howard Williamson book now!

I`m never sure about the repainted stuff.....perhaps this was a reissue at the front which explains the repaint?

Steve.
                  Last edited by yellow; 12-03-2004, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Could the bugle be for the 20th Light Div?
                    There was no Royal Corps of Signals at that time, so he's a signaller within the RA I would think (would he be RE attached? - if so Id've thought hed've worn his own Corp's badge rather than the gun).

Comment

The RFA had signalers in the advance font line positions spotting for the guns. One 2/Lt and two other ranks in a dug out.

The card index for James Wilson shows the only unit he served with was the RFA he had no number change when the RFA became the RA.

If Leigh is correct with his assumption that he did serve with the Light Division he must of been in a member of one of the units below:

XC Brigade RFA (broken up 30 August 1916)

XCI Brigade RFA

XCII (Howitzer) Brigade RFA (left to became an Army Brigade, 8 January 1917)

XCIII Brigade RFA

20th Heavy Battery RGA (raised for the Division, but left August 1915 and moved to France)

20th Divisional Ammunition Column

V.20 Heavy Trench Mortar Battery RFA (formed by 24 May 1916, broken up on 2 February 1918, men transferred to XXII Corps HTMB)

X.20, Y.20 and Z.20 Medium Mortar Batteries RFA (jformed by 24 May 1916; on 2February 1918, Z broken up and batteries reorganised to have 6 x 6-inch weapons each)

Steve.

Comment

Maybe interesting to know, this helmet came from the great-granddaughter of a German WWI veteran.

Wow Steve, that was fast. Much appreciated.
                        Did you get this info from a book?

I have also been offered a EM uniform of the DHLI, it is named as well. Could this be checked up on as well?
                        If one would want me to I could post pictures of it.

Comment

Steve, do you perhaps know when he entered service and where he came from.
                          The forward observer story might account for the fact that the German soldier captured it. Who knows?

Comment

very nice one

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X