British Regimental Nicknames.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Regimental Nicknames.

This could go on forever, but at Allan H's suggestion, off the top of my head:

The Grenadier Guards - The Bill Browns, The Old Eyes, The Sandags, The Reindeer Guards.

The Coldstream Guards - The Coldcream Guards (a fairly recent nickname, which seemed to follow on from a particular little scandal in about 1976).

The Scots Guards - The Jocks, The Sweaties.

Royal Scots (the old 1st Foot) - Pontius Pilates Bodyguard, The Fust & The Wust.

The west Surreys - Kirk's Lambs, The Mutton Lancers.

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - The Old & Bold, The Shiners, The Duke Of Wellington's Bodyguard.

The Royal Warwicks - The Saucy Sixth, The Tamgerines.

The Royal Fusiliers - The Elegant Extracts.

The Norfolks - The Holy Boys.

The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry - The Light Bobs.

The KRRC & The Rifle Brigade - The Black buttoned Bastards.

The HLI - The Pig & Whistle Light Infantry.

9th Royal Scots, - The Dandy Ninth, (circa WWI).

The Gordon Highlanders - The Gay Gordons.

The West Kents - The Dirty Half Hundred.

The Duke of Wellingtons - Duke of Boots.

The Hampshires - The Hamsters (they nicknamed bees "Regimental Flies" because of the yellow & black colouring).

The Parachute Regiment - The Cherry Berets.

The Royal Army Pay Corps - Rape A Pillage Corps.

The Royal Army Medical Corps - Rob All My Comrades, Runa Away Mother's Coming, The Poultice Wallopers, The Mepacrine Lancers.

The Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - Rough Engineering Made Easy.
    (Apparently their cap badge of the lightening flash, chained horse & globe represents "Work like a horse at the speed of lightening & always drop a bollock").

The Intelligence Corps - Pansies Resting On Their Laurels.

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps - Rag And & Oil Company, Shiney Asses, Blanket Stackers (note how the cannon balls provided on their cap badge were always too big for the cannon on the badge).

The Royal Military Police - Redcaps (during WWII there were also "Blue Caps", wearing special insignia & a blue cover to the cap - guardede vulnerable points etc), The Monkeys.

The Royal Army Veterinary Corps - The Horse Doctors.

The Army Service Corps - Ally Sloper's Cavalry.

The Royal Pioneer Corps - The Chunkies.

The Royal Marines - The Mary-Annes, The Margerines, more recently "The Cabbage Heads" (a ferference to the Commandoes green beret).

More recent regiments:

Royal Regiment of Fusiliers - The Fuzzies, The Budgies.

The Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment - The Squidgies.

The Royal Corps of Transport - The Yorkies (because of the chocolate bar adverts).

The Royal Logistical Corps - The Loggies.

Right, this is silly - there are literally hundreds to put down, time to get on with the decorating & give somebody else a chance.
    How about a formalised reference thread in the library?

23rd.S.A.S.-"Hells Jocks"

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
    This could go on forever, but at Allan H's suggestion, off the top of my head:

The Grenadier Guards - The Bill Browns, The Old Eyes, The Sandags, The Reindeer Guards.

The Coldstream Guards - The Coldcream Guards (a fairly recent nickname, which seemed to follow on from a particular little scandal in about 1976).

The Scots Guards - The Jocks, The Sweaties.

Royal Scots (the old 1st Foot) - Pontius Pilates Bodyguard, The Fust & The Wust.

The west Surreys - Kirk's Lambs, The Mutton Lancers.

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - The Old & Bold, The Shiners, The Duke Of Wellington's Bodyguard.

The Royal Warwicks - The Saucy Sixth, The Tamgerines.

The Royal Fusiliers - The Elegant Extracts.

The Norfolks - The Holy Boys.

The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry - The Light Bobs.

The KRRC & The Rifle Brigade - The Black buttoned Bastards.

The HLI - The Pig & Whistle Light Infantry.

9th Royal Scots, - The Dandy Ninth, (circa WWI).

The Gordon Highlanders - The Gay Gordons.

The West Kents - The Dirty Half Hundred.

The Duke of Wellingtons - Duke of Boots.

The Hampshires - The Hamsters (they nicknamed bees "Regimental Flies" because of the yellow & black colouring).

The Parachute Regiment - The Cherry Berets.

The Royal Army Pay Corps - Rape A Pillage Corps.

The Royal Army Medical Corps - Rob All My Comrades, Runa Away Mother's Coming, The Poultice Wallopers, The Mepacrine Lancers.

The Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - Rough Engineering Made Easy.
    (Apparently their cap badge of the lightening flash, chained horse & globe represents "Work like a horse at the speed of lightening & always drop a bollock").

The Intelligence Corps - Pansies Resting On Their Laurels.

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps - Rag And & Oil Company, Shiney Asses, Blanket Stackers (note how the cannon balls provided on their cap badge were always too big for the cannon on the badge).

The Royal Military Police - Redcaps (during WWII there were also "Blue Caps", wearing special insignia & a blue cover to the cap - guardede vulnerable points etc), The Monkeys.

The Royal Army Veterinary Corps - The Horse Doctors.

The Army Service Corps - Ally Sloper's Cavalry.

The Royal Pioneer Corps - The Chunkies.

The Royal Marines - The Mary-Annes, The Margerines, more recently "The Cabbage Heads" (a ferference to the Commandoes green beret).

More recent regiments:

Royal Regiment of Fusiliers - The Fuzzies, The Budgies.

The Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment - The Squidgies.

The Royal Corps of Transport - The Yorkies (because of the chocolate bar adverts).

The Royal Logistical Corps - The Loggies.

Right, this is silly - there are literally hundreds to put down, time to get on with the decorating & give somebody else a chance.
    And THE 23rd.S.A.S.;"Hells Jocks" (great lads)

Comment

And the Machine Gun Corps- "The Emmagees"

Comment

A Few More

Hiya chaps WHAT A SUPER THREAD !!
        Just a few i can remember .....
        ROYAL ANGLICAN `angle irons , Armoured Farmers ,
        PRINCE OF WALES /YORKSHIRE pony soldies ,
        ROYAL CORPS /TRANSPORT rickshaws camels n`taxis
        3rd / 4th YORKSHIRE VOLS
        T.A 1990`S the three quarter Yorks
        ROYAL IRISH RANGERS Paddy rangers.
        R.E.M.E Rough engineering made easy.
        GREEN JACKETS Black mafia ..not L.I ...sorry !!
        ( this has nothing to do with skin colour )

ROYAL ARMY CATERING CORPS The flaming p..s pots
        QUEENS LANCASHIRE REGT the queens last resort
        DEVON + DORSETS the Devon ,n dougnuts
        THE ARGYLE AND S / HIGHLANDERS Argyle and Bolton Wanders
        ( SORRY ....KNOW IDEA WHY ON THAT ONE )
        must be loads more ........

Originally posted by Mg34gunner
        And the Machine Gun Corps- "The Emmagees"
        Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 09-24-2004, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
          Couldn't agree more, the original intention with posting the infantry regiments of 1914 was to give a reference to those that had the odd Brit badge but didn't know what it was. The intention was to follow up with subsequent changes and indeed pre 1914 badges. It's all good stuff posted in this forum and I'm sure a lot read it.

Anyway back to the main subject of nicknames, I've written down a whole bunch over the years and must dig them out. A couple to go on with:-

R.A.M.C. Run away matron's coming
          R.A.S.C. Run away someone's coming
          R.C.T. Rickshaws, Cabs and Taxis
          Royal Marines Bootnecks, Jollies
          R.L.C. Really Large Corps
          W.R.A.C. Weekly Ration of Army.........Can't remember now! (Age thing)
          W.R.N.S. Women Really Needing (Seeing to)
          Middlesex Regt. The Diehards
          A.C.C. Any C*** Cooking?
          D.E.R.R. Jesus Ch*** what's that awful smell? (Coined by an R.M. Colour Sergeant on entry to their accomodation during the '77 Firemans strike). Which brought a whole new meaning for me to the old adage 'Wherever the army goes the pong goes'

Aren't the Brigade of Guards collectively known as the 'woodentops' (which I also understand applies to certain coppers )
          and the cavalry in general as 'Donkey wholloppers'.

Comment

Way to clean

Another one we were called was 'Scab lifters'

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Another One .....

ROYAL SIGNALS ....... or any signals guy ,
              was known by the name of
              scaley or scalies , when i asked , was told two reasons one is the all have scabs on their backs from the heavy radios ,another version was it stood for `issue equipment scales ` ( the list not the weighing thingie )

Kr

Marcus[/QUOTE]
              Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 09-22-2004, 07:43 PM.

Comment

It's what they were called in the Navy too, what always cracked me up was that on bigger ships with, with dare I say this, real doctors the junior one was always known as the 'Dick Doc', but at least he had the decency to look you in the eye.

Originally posted by Marcus. H
                Way to clean

Kr

Marcus

Comment

We 'sappers' referred to R.E.M.A. as 'Royal Engineers Minus Education'

Ah!!! good old days.

Allan
                  Looking for information on RKT KARL HUBER
                  Stoßtruppführer AufKlAbt 20 (mot.)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

Comment

Who were the 'falling plates' ?

Comment

Falling Plates

Hiya , I new this one but was not going to post it , but as some one has asked ,
                      on a military shooting range ,one of the types of target you can fire on are a set of steel plates about 2ft high ,by a one ft across , set out at different distances , these targets are ` flicked up ` by an electronic impulse from the control room on a signal and stand for a few seconds then drop back down, this is to teach ` snap shooting ` the usual command from the range D.S will be
                      " targets will fall when hit "
                      the GREEN HOWARDS REGT , had a very bad tour of NORTHERN IRELAND a long while back ,and many guys were killed or badly injured , thus they were known by other units as `the falling plates `
                      Originally posted by Marcus. H
                      Who were the 'falling plates' ?

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                        Hiya chaps WHAT A SUPER THREAD !!
                        Just a few i can remember .....
                        ROYAL ANGLICAN `angle irons , Armoured Farmers ,........
                        Oh yeah - Adult Angle Irons were "6 Foot Pickets" & Junior Angle Irons were
                        "4 Foot Pickets"

Green Jackets were "Strait Jackets" or "Falling Plates".

Inns Of Court - The Devils Own

Royal Artillery - The Drop Shorts, The Long Range Snipers

14th / 20th Hussars - The Emporors Chambermaids

20th Hussars - Nobody's Own
                        16th Lancers - The Scarlet Lancers

17th / 21st Lancers - The Death Or Glory Boys, The Horse Marines.

10th Hussars - The Chainy Tenth.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                          on a military shooting range ,one of the types of target you can fire on are a set of steel plates about 2ft high ,by a one ft across , set out at different distances , these targets are ` flicked up ` by an electronic impulse from the control room on a signal and stand for a few seconds then drop back down.....
                          The appliance of science. In my day they were propped up in sand, & tended to take a few hits before they'd go over. No snap shooting at the plates, you just kept plugging away until they all fell, some would go over with one or two hits, others would take a dozen. Infuriating to keep hitting the things & see them still standing. Not really a lot to do with marksmanship, but a lot to do with whichever teams sub unit colleagues wedged the other teams plates deepest in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan
                            We 'sappers' referred to R.E.M.A. as 'Royal Engineers Minus Education'

Ah!!! good old days.

Allan
                            So did us REME bods!

Also Creamy REME and Rape ( or Ruin) Every Maiden Eventually

One from an ex-SAS bloke was Sports and Social

Army Catering Corps = Andy Capp Commandoes

Anyone who wasn't a para = Cr@p Hats
                            Last edited by Steve Manns; 09-23-2004, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Yes the falling plates were good to shoot at you didn't have to hit them half the time and they fall down......still it was more fun than paste targets

So it was the Green Howards and thats the reason, I think I remember something similar to that being said......another reason was they shot a few of their own blokes I was told ??? And the last 'explanation I gave came from a Green Jacket, they always had some contetion with someone though.

There are a few more 'terms' used but aren't so clean of course.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X