No announcement yet.

Dads Army ..cpl Jones His Medal Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy Cooper was in the Foot Guards I think, I think he was rather handy with his fists too.

Grenadier Guards I think

Richard Attenborough was aircrew of sorts, gunner or something ????

Tony Hart, do remember him from 'Take Hart' the kids art programme, he was an officer with the Gurhka's in Burma during the war.

Steptoe and Son, the younger chap (the son) was in the army and served in Malaya during the early 50's.

John Mills of course was in the Royal Navy.

Kenneth Moore, he was in the war too, he had a few medals on his chest.....I can't remember what he was in (great film the 39 steps)

Dirk Bogard was in the last war to, I think; again for the life of me I can't remember what he did or with whom.

Laurence Olivier was in the RNAS as a pilot, in fact he was the youngest pilot in the RNAS (just like George Bush senior in the USN)

Any more that you know of guy's ?

David Niven I think was a TA officer and also went to the Spanish Civil War as a 'voluteer' so to speak......this is all just from memory, so I may be incorrect.

What about Richard Burton was he in the forces at all ?

Marcus

Comment

Richard Todd (he of the Dambusters fame) was in the Parachute Regiment and took part in the capture of Pegasus Bridge in 1944.

Spike Milligan fought with the Royal Artillery in North Africa and wrote about his exploits in "Hitler - My part in his downfall" which by all accounts is hilarious.

Clive Dunn (Corporal Jones in Dad's Army) fought with the 4th Hussars (Churchills old regiment) and was captured at Dunkirk and spent the war in a POW camp.

After The Battle magazine did a regular article on the stars at war. Will have to dig them out at some point and look up which stars fought during WWII.

Comment

Harry secombe was in the RA too - Milligan mentions in one of his books that he was asleep in N. Africa when a gun fell down off a ridge or something & Secombe wandered down amongst the sleeping soldiery looking for it.
        Kenneth Moore - he played Douglas Bader did'nt he? - he was Royal Navy.

Comment

Thats the man.....great actor arhh he was another Senior Service man then.

M

Ciaran,

After the battle mag's, good grief I've a load of them some where, I'll try to find them as well.

Haven't seen you ages mate, good to see you around.

West Ham eh, I was at Spurs not to long ago !!

Marcus

Comment

Peter Ustinov -an ENSA man.

Bruce Kent - a post WWII tankie. Sorry, he's not an actor.

Comment

Just been on the net:

Benny Hill was in the REME

Richard Burton was another RN guy

Patrick MacNee RN

Sean Connery of course post war, RN

Antony Quayle was in the RA, Guns of Naverone guy who gets wounded in case you don't know him who reads this, great actor !

I may have some details about David Niven wrong.........looking at the Yanks WOW their actors certainly went to some place's too and there are a couple of Purple Hearts in there along with some valour medals too.

Interesting stuff.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Hello Marcus, How goes it!

Yeah, West Ham. Least said about them at the moment the better - although we won yesterday!

Peter Ustinov was a funny bloke. he originally wanted to join the Royal Tank Regiment and when asked by the recruiting sergeant why he wanted to join this paticular regiment he replied:

"So as I can go into battle sitting down!".

It is also noted that on his military record it was stated that:

"On no account must this man be left in charge of other men!"

Comment

Peter Ustinov

HIYA LEIGH ,
                  NOW ...I THINK wasnt PETER USTINOV the batman to another famous T.V star ( or it might be the other way round ) he had a batman , etc ????
                  regards ,Michael.
                  Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                  Peter Ustinov -an ENSA man.

Bruce Kent - a post WWII tankie. Sorry, he's not an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                    HIYA LEIGH ,
                    NOW ...I THINK wasnt PETER USTINOV the batman to another famous T.V star ( or it might be the other way round ) he had a batman , etc ????
                    I think you're right & that Ustinov was the batman, can't think who to though.

Comment

David Niven

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                      I think you're right & that Ustinov was the batman, can't think who to though.

Comment

Continuing along - Michael Caine was a National Serviceman in Korea with the Royal Fusiliers, I believe, and Donald Pleasance was an F/O in the RAF who was shot down and held at Stalag Luft I.

Comment

Hello ,

I have been told by friends that David Niven was an RAF officer in charge of Polish pilots and often came with them to a local MOD shooting range about 2 miles away .

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Greeves
                            Continuing along - Michael Caine was a National Serviceman in Korea with the Royal Fusiliers, I believe, and Donald Pleasance was an F/O in the RAF who was shot down and held at Stalag Luft I.
                            Caine was in 1RF (under his real name of Michael Micklewhite - catchy little moniker).
                            A later Royal Fusilier was Leslie Grantham, & David Nielson was a slop jockey with the Royal Fusiliers (ACC I think, rather than a regimental cook). Put his cooking skills to use later in life, just forgot to clean the drains.

Comment

Johnnie Brigs of 633 Sqd film 'fame' and as Mike Baldwin in Coranation Street was a Sergeant in the Tankies, I believe he even wanted to stay in and loved the army.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Ciaran,

We didn't do much better yesterday

Comment

Bill Fraser (Sgt. Major Claude Snudge in 'The Army Game' and 'Bootsie and Snudge') was a Flt. Lt. in the R.A.F.

Great comedy so I'm told .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X