Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dads Army ..cpl Jones His Medal Group

HIYA ,
    attention all you brit medal guys ..the cpl Jones ,played by CLIVE DUNN in the t.v series DADS ARMY ,did any of you guys ever study his medal ribbons on his BD ????? IF SO ..... were they correct , could ` cpl Jones ` have that set or had they just stitched on any thing .....sorry its just one of those questions that pops in to my head this time of the morn ,
    would love to know ,regards ,Michael..

P.S ......HEARD ANOTHER ONE TODAY ........
    the coronation st old boy ALBERT TATLOT ( long since gone ) any truth the actor was one of the guys in the `sunken road ` july 1st with the Lancs Fus ??/

Got this from a Dad's Army fansite.

Lance Corporal Jones<!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "Body%20text" -->
    Portrayed by Clive Dunn

'After the Charge of the Light Brigade, when a handful of the tattered survivors had staggered back to the British lines, and as Lord Cardigan and Lord Raglan were arguing as to whose fault it was, a ragged scarecrow of a Private soldier stepped forward and saluted. His once brave uniform was covered in the grime of battle. "Permission to speak"he said. "Shall we go again sir ?" These few words sum up the bravery of the British N.C.O.'s and private soldiers who over the centuries have survived blunders and disasters, and have somehow always come out on top. Such a man is Lance Corporal Jack Jones, born in 1870.

At the age of fifteen he signed on as a drummer boy, and a few months later he was in the sudan with Sir Garnet Woseley's relief force, to save General Gordon from being besieged in Khartoum. Alas, they arrived two days too late. "Permission to speak, sir,"said Jones. "We should have come a bit quicker." "Nonsense my man,"replied the officer. "We had to stop to water the horses. Besides better late than never."'

'Thirteen years later, Jones was again serving in the Sudan, this time with General Sir Herbert Kitchener,where at the Battle of Omdurman the Dervishes were finally beaten. "Permission to speak, sir,"said Jones "We gave 'em the old cold steel, they don't like it up'em."'

"That's the sort of fighting talk I like to hear,"said General Kitchener. "Stick with me and you won't go wrong." So Jones served with the General in India on the North West Frontier, and in France in 1914. When the war was finally over Jones hung up his uniform, and opened a small butcher's shop in Walmington-on-Sea. He thought his soldiering days were over, but when in 1940 England was once again threatened he didn't hesitate . At the age of seventy, he joined the Home Guard. "Permission to speak, sir,"said Jones. "I may be old but I can still give them the old cold steel, and they don't like it up'em, you know, they do not like it."

Jimmy Perry & David Croft from "Dads Army" (Elm Tree Books 1975).

Comment

LCpl Jones medalled
      Attached Files

Comment

Less is better
        Attached Files

Comment

Also, the patch worn on the Home Guard uniform by Jonesy and his mates - "CP1" was a ficticious unit that took its initals from the writers of the series Perry & David Croft.

Them fuzzy-wuzzys don't like it up 'em!!

Comment

The old Coronation Street Tatlock actor who always went on about Gallipoli was an ex Lancs Fusilier, but was'nt at Gallipoli - I don't think that he was in 1st Bn.
            In the programme he used to wear the regimental association lapel badge of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Comment

Clive Dunn, I think I remember a TV programme about their actual lives, and Clive Dunn was a POW for a duration of the war in Germany.......he was ex army (the best )

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Was he? I thought that he was too young for WWII. There's loads of the old film & tv stars who were'nt though - Frank Wossisname, who did the Shweppes adverts - was'nt he a para at Arnhem? Bernard Cribbens was a para, but post WWII. Sam Kidd, now he was a WWII squaddy - Queen Victorias Rifles, captured in France 1940 - wrote "Tommy For You The War Is Over" or something similar. Maybe a "Z" instead of the "Th"? Richard Todd was a Commando or whatever in the Normandy landings, & old Victor McGlaglin or however it's spelled, (was in "Gunga Din" on tv again the other day) he was a WO I in the Life Guards, Provo Marshal of Baghdad in WWI. Somebody once said of him something to the effect of if you want to hear the authentic voice of Kipling's Tommy Atkins listen to him. Still sounds like Brooklyn accent to me 'tho..........

Comment

He was born in 1922 ! I just put his name on the internet.

Comment

Nah, Nah, Nah - I heard he was a conshie, never a POW. What are you doing up at this time of night?

Comment

Ello ,ello ??? Any One There ?

hiya ,
                      i am trying to think of a guys name ( i think he was a tv type fella ) I think ??????? he flew a glider in to Arnhem ,he was a big blustery ,type think he had a very large `tashe` ...come on ..whats is name ??
                      its starting to bug me Jimmy ??
                      Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                      Nah, Nah, Nah - I heard he was a conshie, never a POW. What are you doing up at this time of night?

Comment

Jimmy Edwards............

Comment

From the Daily Mirror,
                          'Clive served in a tank regiment in Greece during the Second World War. He was taken prisoner by the Nazis in 1941 and held as a POW in Austria for five years. He said: "I know what it is like to be bombed - I'm not sure Bush or Blair do.'

Jimmy Edwards, from the Internet Movie Database

'Served as a Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, winning the DFC ( Distinguished Flying Cross).
                          Jimmy Edwards, DFC., flew a Dakota in WW11, an aircraft for which he retained a great affection. Indeed, he became reacquainted with the controls in a 1980s TV tribute to the RAF.'

Comment

Arthur Lowe

Was signals trained, and served in North Africa for a while as an NCO

John Le Mesurier - Sergeant Wilson

Was a commissioned officer and mostly served in India

John Laurie - Pte Frazer

Was ivalided out of WW1 and became Sergeant-of-arms at the Tower of London until 1919.

Arnold Ridley - Pte Godfrey

Well who would have thought this, invalided out of WW1 in 1917 after sustaining a head injury from a German rifle butt ! Then.......

In 1939 was enlisted into the army only to be invalided out in 1940 during the evacuation of France suffering from shell shock.

James Beck - Joe Walker

Was a PTI during his post war national service.

Thats all I can find really........apart from Clive Dunn was now born in 1920 ?

Comment

Interesting re Clive Dunn - I'm obviously stuck in a 70's time warp as I remember him as a young man playing an old man.
                              Kenneth Williams & Windsor Davies were both sergeants in the West Kents I believe.
                              Terry Scott was a RN Steward.
                              Who was the actor who played Douglas Bader in reach for the sky? - he was a matelot.
                              Ian Carmichael's brother Charles (bit of a tenuous link here) was a major in 1st Bn Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, still serving in the late 70's.
                              david Niven was a failed pre-war KRRC I think, he served in the Phantoms in WWII.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X