Ivory handle Ghurka knife question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivory handle Ghurka knife question

I know there are a lot of varities of these -- what do you think about this one? It shows some age. Is it a tourist deal or ceremonial? the coins look Indian perhaps. What do you all think?

As always thats for your time and opinions.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

More photos if needed of the top of handle and tip of scabbard ect.

Thanks

Comment

I figure these are Nepalese or Indian coins -- this Ghurka has a razor sharp edge and has a few nicks -- somebody was hitting it against something. Any idea on age?
            It has the wooden scabbard (covered in leather) but I suppose they still use those today.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Military Trader; 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Is it fact or fiction that if a Ghurka withdrew his knife from the scabbard the knife had to draw blood before it was allowed to be put back in the scabbard?

Comment

Nice knife,
                The coin in the last photo is a Napalese 5 Paisa piece (1957-1963),pity the other side isnt visable as you could get a date.
                The bottom coin on the scabbard looks like theres a date on it.can you give us a close up of that one ?
                Cheers Mick

Comment

The handle looks to be bone rather than ivory. Not a military issue, probably a tourist item.

Comment

IMO typical tourist Kukri - I'm fairly certain that all British Army kukris would have had the ordnance crow's foot stamp near the hilt.

There is no truth in the drawing blood thing. Kukris needed to be cleaned and oiled and this would probably have been done daily so they were regularly taken out of their sheaths.

Happy new year

James
                    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
                    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
                    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

James

Definitely tourist, but a nice [old?] example. The work on the blade is typical of tourist stuff - just a rust trap on a working blade. A bone handle is unusual too, at least for a 'real' blade. The kukri was an agricultural tool as well as a weapon, remember, and made to last, which bone handles and 'engraved' blades do not do as well as plain wood and steel.

No truth to the 'blood' myth. probably invented by some sharp 'jawan' [lad] so he wouldn't have to keep pulling it out to show to tourists! Keep in mind that the Gurkhas, mythology aside, are simple peasant lads from a very poor country. The kukri is simply a tool and weapon, not a magical totem.

All service weapons - Indian Army and British Army - I've ever seen have plain blades and, if British, the broad arrow stamp on the blade and on the scabbard. Also, for some reason, often the 2 small knives on the inside of the scabbard, which do NOT appear often on civilian knives.

Happy New Year!

Peter

Comment

The two small knives are for general use for tasks where a large knife is unsuitable: like a pocket knife. I have one that also has a piece of rough cloth folded in behind the skinning knives which is for keeping the blade in nice shape. It is a civilian kukri by the way.

All the best

James
                        Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
                        Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
                        Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

bone handled tourist piece

Comment

bottom coin
                            Attached Files

Comment

The coin was minted in the year 2015 of the Bikram Samvat era (VS).
                              which equates to 1958 in our year system.
                              Cheers Mate

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X