Named F.S. Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named F.S. Knife

Opinions would be welcome on this 2nd pattern F.S.Knife which is named to A.E. CROFT 2nd PARA.
    The knife has been used and has been sharpened, looking at the scabbard I can not find any evidence of the leather tabs ever been attached to it.

Regarding A.E. Croft does any member have any information on him?

Many thanks,
    Gareth
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I see you've posted the naming already!
          Last edited by Jack Dutton-Roberts; 01-22-2012, 05:52 AM. Reason: Premature as always!

Comment

Jack,
            I just posted an image of the naming.

All the best,
            Gareth

Comment

Gareth

I've got to be honest I don't like the naming at all. The font looks much more modern than the knife might suggest. I also am uncomfortable with the "2nd Para." abbreviation. 2nd Battalion yes, 2 Para yes, but this seems a little unusual.

I'm sure someone is more qualified to say but I'm going to also guess that A E Croft was making Johnny Frost his brew on the bridge during the battle.

Thanks for showing
              Jack

Comment

Jack,
                Thanks for your opinion, regarding the knife I first saw it as a boy about 40 years ago and only recently saw it again after all those years.
                Looking at the knife in hand the etching matches the age of the knife and compares to similar examples which I have seen on the F.S. Knife web site.

All the best,
                Gareth
                Last edited by Butch; 01-22-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Post War

Hi,
                  I have to agree with Jack,the actual scrolling is a poor representation of period done pieces that are seen on Roys site and elswhere. The font is more modern too,I have not seen that font on any ww2 done pieces before. The use of 2nd Para definately does not ring right, 2 Para would be the correct way to see it. The knife looks well cleaned up,look at the crossguard,why do this it just spoils the value and the look. Don't mind period sharpening at all.
                  The scabbard is an early one that never had "tabs" on and is in lovely condition,with a complete brown elastic,nice to see.
                  I'm guessing that there are no markings on the knife at all,these nichol 2nd patterns are rare,especially if unmarked and no-one is certain of the maker,if my memory is correct.
                  All in all a nice piece....spoiled by poor engraving at some stage of its life.
                  I hope this is a keeper as you will not get its market value with that engraving....I may be wrong and have some pie in the fridge ready to eat if I am proved wrong
                  Regards,Ivan

Comment

Looks a good WW2 Knife to me but also unsure regarding the time period of the etched scroll. It is quite possible that this was added later by the veretan, it seems professionally done. Some research on the name may well bring forward more information. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Like I said, the last time I saw this knife was 40 years ago and this is exactly how I remember it.

All the best,
                      Gareth

Comment

see below
                        Last edited by Jack Dutton-Roberts; 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Just scanned the image in to an online font detector. And it came back with Eurostile Bold Extended font which was invented in 1962
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile

Anyway assuming if it was even original, it is not done by Wilkinson - "Wilkinsons and the F S Knife" by Wilkinson-Latham page 65 states two types of scroll were available and this is not one of them (they are both pictured from Roy's collection)

Thanks
                          Jack

Comment

I'll etch whatever you want on a blade.

Seriously it's simple, minimal investment, a computer and printer and Jack's your uncle. Sorry I meant Roberta's your auntie.

Comment

Hello
                              There are some points I don’t like with this knife but to understand more I would like to see how the tang is hammered out over the pommel nut.

About the scabbard: It is the wrong chape. The nickel type has a rounded tip.

About the knife: There is no F-S or Wilkinson etching. Why to make a name scroll without F-S etching?

I think the name scroll was added after the war if it is a genuine 2nd Pattern FS.
                              Best regards
                              Olof
                              http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/fs_knife1.htm
                              Our forum about these knives:
                              http://gotavapen.se/market/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X