Wwii glider pilot regt photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
    It's the 1939-43 star which of course became known as the 1939-45 star.
    HI Guys Jack is right with this stament what he did not say was that it was authrised to be worn in 1944 ribbon only not all troops wore it though ! steve

Comment

Originally posted by tedwardland View Post
      What about the guy on the front left! with his mates hand over the area where his wings would be.
      I reckon this chap is hidding a blank chest so he does not look to be the odd one out proberly still training and not quailfied when the photo was taken ! as you would see teh end of the where his fingers would be! steve

Comment

Thanks guys for the intreastng replys and comments steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
          And what about the guy bottom right (the one I said has the droopy wings) well where on earth is the rest of his insignia??!!
          I've seen quite a few photos of glider pilots with no titles, perhaps the most famous being that of the sgt filling in a glider loading form as some guys are lashing motorcycles into a Horsa.

Another interesting thing this photo shows is the large second pilot wing, most of these measure-in at around 3 1/2 - 4 inches but this looks closer to 5 1/2 inches across!.

Dave
          Last edited by Dave J; 08-17-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X