Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwii glider pilot regt photo

Hy Guys
    I have had this photo for quite a while and was talking to a member on the phone who said I should put it on here for every one to enjoy so here you are.
    Note the 2nd glider pilot wings and the plastic cap badge
    cheers Steve
    Attached Files

Scarce droopy type wings on bottom right too

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
      Scarce droopy type wings on bottom right too
      just for you ps no other airborne badges eather !! steve
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks to be a few plastic AAC badges amongst them .Roger

Comment

Fantastic photo, thanks for sharing! Wonder if the officer in the center has a sterling cap badge.

Comment

What about the guy on the front left! with his mates hand over the area where his wings would be.

Comment

And what about the guy bottom right (the one I said has the droopy wings) well where on earth is the rest of his insignia??!!

Comment

You

You want to send a copy of the photo to the "Eagle" ..... they might be able to name some of the GP's ..

Gary J.

Comment

Jack it seems like things still haven't changed over the 65 years! i was always hitting the boys up about badges and rank not been worn.
                  Last edited by tedwardland; 08-09-2011, 05:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by tedwardland View Post
                    Jack it seems like things still haven't changed over the 65 years! i was always hitting the boys up about badges and rank not been worn.
                    Very true Ted! Makes our hobby more interesting...

Comment

The one with the droopy wings and the one with his hand over the lower ones wings appear to be wearing medal ribbons, wonder what the medal is.Roger

Comment

Originally posted by RMR View Post
                        The one with the droopy wings and the one with his hand over the lower ones wings appear to be wearing medal ribbons, wonder what the medal is.Roger
                        It's the 1939-43 star which of course became known as the 1939-45 star.

Comment

Regarding the Chap with the 39-45 ribbon and the absence of the others wearing it, I found this quote a while ago on Wikipedia.

"The star was immediately awarded if the service period was terminated by death, disability or wounding. The award of a gallantry medal or a Mention in Despatches also led to an immediate award."
                          Maybe he was previously wounded, or MID.

Other observations are, I can't see any service stripes on the lower right arms and
                          it also looks like most have whitened their stripes for a special occassion.

Graham.

Comment

That's interesting Graham. The normal criteria is 6 months service overseas in operational zones - maybe this bloke had already done his time?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                              You want to send a copy of the photo to the "Eagle" ..... they might be able to name some of the GP's ..

Gary J.
                              Hi Gary
                              please pm me a link or email cheers steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X