Royal Tank Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officers WW1 Tank Arm badge

The dies for this badge were sold off about 8 years ago (correct me if I am wrong) and since that time restrikes have been made in brass with rather naff backing plates with lug fixings. They crop up on the net from time to time.

I take your point about a blade fixing for a arm badge rather than lugs. That is truly unusual. The officers bronze tank corps cap badge can be found with both lug and blade fixings..........why not an arm badge........no problems for a batman with a button stick.

The badge has not been silver tested.

The above badge was purchased in the 1980's for 6 or 7 British. I have given this badge the old bend test it does not buckle under all my strength unlike the repros described above.

Steve.

Comment

Would the Tank Corps bronzed cap badges with loop rather rather than blade fittings be collar dogs? I don't know a lot about officers insignia, but some units had collar dogs which were the same design & size as the cap badges eg Royal Fusiliers - I have what appears to be a RF officers SD cap badge but with loop fittings, so I'd always assumed (dangerous) that this would be a collar dog, the collar dogs being fitted with loops to facilitate removal for cleaning of the tunic.

Comment

With reference to Tank Corps officers collar badges a 2/3 size bronzed badge was worn. They cannot be confused with the cap badge. I have not seen examples of these with blade fixings.

Moving on to your RF side cap badge / forage cap badge. I dont see any problem with lugs on your badge. This is the most common method of attaching these badges to officers side caps. There are however small badges made for officers specifically for the side cap which can be confused with collar badges. I dont know enough about the RF badge....sorry.

The officers bronze badges were not supposed to be cleaned.........brushed but never cleaned.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X