Royal Tank Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Tank Corps

Formed in 1917 from the Heavy Branch of the MGC.
    Here is a bronzed cap badge.
    Attached Files

In 1922 they were awarded the motto 'Fear Naught' and the name changed from 'Tank Corps' to 'Royal Tank Corps'. In 1924 a new badge was issued, the one on the left. I've shown a later badge next to it as proof that I'm not fudging with a collar dog.
    Attached Files

Comment

The band wore a brass version.

The tank was considered to be going in retreat, hence the change to the badge on the right.

Comment

Silver plate version of the tank going ahead
        Attached Files

Comment

led by the band
          Attached Files

Comment

My usual word - nice. I've been looking for the wrongwayer 1924 pattern, not as a part of my main collecting theme but as an interesting badge, for years. Also the brass band job. I work with a guy in Britain whose grandad was killed at El Alamein, & who says that he has grandads original wrong wayer. Still waiting to see it, he knows that he'll need more than a baton & CS to keep me off it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
              led by the band
              Yes, always nice to have those boys in front..........

Comment

Well being a Dorset lad you know Wareham then, I did my 432 commanders course down there (free entry to the museum with a Mod 90)

And of course we invented the 'modern' tank, I believe they were disguised or purported to be 'water bowsers/tanks' to the uninformed as a disguise hence it's name.

Heres a solid silver one, this one was worn at Normandy and during the era of 44-47.The original owner commanded three different tanks during the first month of the 'France' invasion. All three tanks being knocked out by mines of all things. According to the original owner they were hampered more by American high command than the Germans and it was very frustrating not being able to advance when able too. Politic's of war, although he does admitt the Yanks had a hard time of it on their beaches to say the very least !

Kind regards,

Marcus
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                  Yes, always nice to have those boys in front..........
                  Wouldn't have it any other way

Comment

I've not exactly been hunting for them, but where'd you find the boys of the band etc? - I've never come across them - if I had then I'd've bought them as interesting badges, in the same way that I do cavalry & TA etc, just nice badges & not too common. Seen in reference books but never outside photos. Don't you really just collect navy?

Comment

That's a nice badge Marcus, it's also great to know the history.
                      I have been known to spend a few hours in the tank museum, I always seem to find something new that I'd previously missed.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                        I've not exactly been hunting for them, but where'd you find the boys of the band etc? - I've never come across them - if I had then I'd've bought them as interesting badges, in the same way that I do cavalry & TA etc, just nice badges & not too common. Seen in reference books but never outside photos. Don't you really just collect navy?
                        I don't really collect Navy at all, I have a few badges that belonged to my Grandfather, his medals, docs and some other stuff along with his brothers medals, QSA, 1914 star, Defence and Victory and Bechuanaland LSGC.
                        Navy badges to me are not that interesting, probably from having been there. When I left the mob anything that I didn't have to return went in the bin, foolish in retrospect but at the time I didn't feel very sentimental over my time, still don't.

As to the badges, I got those from a guy that I believe worked in an old folks home, the para badges were part of the lot, and if truth is told some of my best badges were in that lot including a solid silver 3 piece officers cap badge of the Seaforths. Altogether a great find. So the secret is now out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
                          .......I didn't feel very sentimental over my time, still don't......
                          Know what you mean - it's the older stuff that counts for me.

Comment

Probably the most faked Brit Tank badge out there............this one isnt a fake.

Steve.

Comment

Did'nt know that they had that type of fitting. Is the badge white metal? It seems a strange way of affixing a badge that needs polishing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X