Wartime Luminous Para Disc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radioactivity

Very interesting thread and a good one for warning of these dangers. When I was a youngster I helped out at a local aeronautical museum in Oshawa, Ontario. I recall some study being conducted by the Fed's into various aircraft collections and the threat of radioactive elements contained in them. If I recall right, several German instruments from WW 2 were removed due to danger posed by radium in the paint used to mark the instruments as well as some of the interior components. They actually stated that constant close contact to the material could make you sick over time. There was also an interesting documentary on the tele at one point which discussed the sad situation around women hired during the war to hand paint radium medium onto watch faces and instruments. It showed an incredible proportion of these died of cancer related illnesses including many that could be directly related to the use of radium. Many got cancer's in the mouth because they did not know during the war that it was dangerous. They would wet their brushes with their tongue.

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
    I believe you just answered your own question JL.

Luc

Comment

I suggest we don't mistake them for a boiled sweet then.

You say they were considered a threat, was that at all quantified? Or looked at in relation to other more natural threads?

I'm not trying to underestimate the dangers of radiation in general, but in the case of these disks I've heard nothing that suggests they are more detrimental to human health than, say, smoking a cigarette or bad food habits.

Luc

Comment

" I recall some study being conducted by the Fed's into various aircraft collections and the threat of radioactive elements contained in them. If I recall right, several German instruments from WW 2 were removed due to danger posed by radium in the paint used to mark the instruments as well as some of the interior components. "

So unless the museum curator was sleeping in the cockpits, they pretty much removed the instruments for nothing?

Comment

Here is the compas from VIet Nam I mentioned earlier. I just wonder how precise the physics class mesurement was?
          Attached Files

Comment

So the bottom line is the disks are safe or not safe ?
            I have one sewn into the neck of a m-42 US jump jacket that I have owned for many years .
            should I be worried ???

If this thing is walking around in my war room at night on its own power it kinda freaks me out !!!

Any advise ?

owen

Comment

Send them to me and I will buy them. My AB jackets need them. I used to play with all kinds of luminous materials, as a kid, and managed to attain late middle age without any ailments.

I would really like to find a couple for my collection.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by force136 View Post
                Very interesting thread and a good one for warning of these dangers. When I was a youngster I helped out at a local aeronautical museum in Oshawa, Ontario. I recall some study being conducted by the Fed's into various aircraft collections and the threat of radioactive elements contained in them. If I recall right, several German instruments from WW 2 were removed due to danger posed by radium in the paint used to mark the instruments as well as some of the interior components. They actually stated that constant close contact to the material could make you sick over time. There was also an interesting documentary on the tele at one point which discussed the sad situation around women hired during the war to hand paint radium medium onto watch faces and instruments. It showed an incredible proportion of these died of cancer related illnesses including many that could be directly related to the use of radium. Many got cancer's in the mouth because they did not know during the war that it was dangerous. They would wet their brushes with their tongue.
                I saw that Ken, It was about the Radium Dial company and was a fascinating documentary. The factory was demolished sometime In the 50's I believe and due to the contamination In the soil has been left as an empty lot since.

As regards these discs I think some of us were simply passing on what we had heard out of concern for others. If you choose to Ignore that or Indeed mock us for our concern then all I can say Is, suck away boys as I don't really give a sh1t one way or the other if all your hair falls out and you can't keep controll of your collective arses. Hey that sounds like most militaria collectors anyway so It shouldn't make much difference.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

This will sooth your troubled arses, I mean, minds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

See under ionazation. The Dutch wiki page mentions Radium as radioactive source as well.

Luc

Comment

Radium

Sorry guys I have no clue about the disc's or whether they are dangerous or not. I was just referring to radium and luminescent paint used during the war by both sides. The guy's that took Bob's stuff away had giger ( spell? ) counters and they went crazy when they passed it in front of one of the German control columns he had. I am certain they can determine it's affects on you simply judged on that. All they said was it could be the radium on the dials or radium contained internally within the instruments.

The Fed's also dropped by to take away his jet engine for his F-86 as well as the .50's from it. They were afraid ole Bob was going to get it in flying condition and go bomb Parliament Hill or something.

Ken

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                    This will sooth your troubled arses, I mean, minds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

See under ionazation. The Dutch wiki page mentions Radium as radioactive source as well.

Luc

Comment

Another example of the Disc, last image also shows the Tracking Ball, both of these came directly from an ex-RAF friend who was an SOE Packer. Regards, Clive.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                        Attached Files

Comment

Disc and Tracking Ball
                          Attached Files

Comment

Excuse the pun but I feel I am still in the dark regarding these disks .
                            bob ,
                            I know you are a long time collector and I respect your opinion , do you think they are ok ?\
                            I will see you at the Pomona show ?
                            owen

Comment

Owen, I have seen no hard evidence that they are harmful. Perhaps if you have a pile of them, but otherwise it seems it does not increase the natural exposure to radiation that we all experience.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by force136 View Post
                                They actually stated that constant close contact to the material could make you sick over time.
                                I am no expert on this subject, so I could under no circumstances take the responsibility of forming an opinion as to the potential risk. What I know is that there is a limit for maximal annual exposure to radiation. We do accept radiation from different sources and each new amount of it is being accumulated to the previous one.

This little item is radioactive. No doubt about it. So, even if radiation levels are low, it does add a little bit to the amount of radiation absorbed. From that point of view, I think that the words "constant close contact ... over time" quoted above, are the key here. Will someone keep it? His/her choice. Although it might be less dangerous than many other things that we come in touch with, it's still something, that can also be avoided. And maybe an opinion by someone who is specializing on the subject, who would take all factors into account, could help more than a militaria forum IMHO. If concerns are that strong, then they deserve a clear answer that can help you make a decision.

Cheers, Giorgos
                                Last edited by stray_dog; 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X