Wartime Luminous Para Disc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wartime Luminous Para Disc ?

Hi, I bought this today at a carboot (in a jewellery box, I was looking for badges), I've searched and can only find the link below, which has the photos deleted.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=para+disc

Does anybody have photos or can it be identified by anyone ? Is it a wartime piece, it only has "POISON INSIDE" on it, and no other marks.
    Thanks Gary
    Attached Files

Reverse side
    Attached Files

Comment

The US made ones had the 'poison' marked on the back. Here's a link with some photos. http://www.pararesearchteam.com/Airb...borne-014.html
      Nice find! Let me know if you want to get rid of it. Steve T

Comment

Really interesting ! Did the seller know what it was ?

Comment

It's a good one. I've had a few of these in the past but got rid of them due to the radioactivity issue.

Comment

It is not very radioactive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pe...ioactivity.svg

Luc

Comment

It seems like the use of radioactive material like tritium was a common practice in the military equipment industry of the time. Compasses, arty piece orientation instruments and luminous disks among other things did contain it. It was a way to luminate the devices without the use of electric means on the frontline.

While glowing radioactive stuff may give us the creeps today, that was not the case even years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when the radioactivity effects had not yet been fully researched.

Cheers, Giorgos

Comment

It's not tritium It's radium.

Whilst It may not seem all that dangerous, If the cell Is broken, the radium leaking and you Ingest some then you are f###d!

You did the right thing Des!

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Meltingpoint is 973 Kelvin, it won't leak.

Luc

Comment

Hi Luc,

Well personally I don't trust an item that is 60+ years old to remain perfectly sealed. More importantly however a collector with one of these wartime discs asked a qualified US scientist who specializes in radiation safety if they were safe. The scientist stated the following: 'Until the mid 1960s, the radioluminescent material consisted of a mix of <sup>226</sup>Ra and zinc sulfide (ZnS). From what I have seen, the activities ranged from 5 to 15 microcuries (one microcurie of <sup>226</sup>Ra is equivalent to one microgram). A good guess therefore would be 10 uCi. My personal opinion is that devices with this amount of radium should be turned over to the state radiation control program. Sooner or later, someone is likely to open them up and the resulting mess could require a relatively expensive cleanup.' That reply alone is enough for me to avoid these in the future. If others are happy to own them, fair enough!

Comment

I believe it to be roughly equal to background radiation levels, unless you've been playing with depleted uranium ammo.

If you ever find one, feel free to send it to me.

Luc

Comment

It seems that collectors can have items containing RADIUM, but, museums have to have them destroyed, such as the issued watch, compass, sight (Artillery and SA), instruments, instrument pannels in vehicles and aircraft, and some wireless (radio) items.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                          museums have to have them destroyed
                          Don't always expect a rational approach from a museum. Radiation and todays claim culture are a volatile mix.

Luc

Comment

I have a US compas from Viet Nam that says "Danger, radiocative" at the back. I brought is to physics class once where we mesured the radioactivity... It was quite negligeable.
                            Do you think it may be dangerous?

JL

Comment

I believe you just answered your own question JL.

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X