empty box thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

empty box thread.

ive started collecting boxed ww2 british medals but as there is alot of cheap ww2 medal boxes around for sale on there own, which dealers/sellers can create a fake set and sell on it spoils the game

this thread will be dedicated to the sale of empty ww2 postal boxes so you dont get stung with a sellers made medal set.

( im doing this for my self but i thought other members might find this useful )

EMPTY ~ WW2 Medal Box NAVY ADMIRALTY
    Attached Files

Comment

EMPTY ~ medal box plus list (not ticked). Awarded to Mr Jim? Frazer 14 Arthur St Brierfield Lancashire
      Attached Files

Comment

EMPTY ~ WW2 Medal Box RAF AIR MINISTRY
        Attached Files

Comment

EMPTY ~ WW2 Box WITH AIR MINISTRY DETAILS TO BOTTOM OF BOX

named - D.West(?)
          Attached Files

Comment

Like you say. Each one of these taken out of the loop will prevent a named group mysteriously appearing on e**y. Who knows, it might even make for a nice box collection?

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
              EMPTY ~ WW2 Medal Box NAVY ADMIRALTY
              Ref #2
              I know Woodlands Farm Rd. The property pretty much, used to back onto Castle Bromwich Airfield where Spitfires were produced. The airfield is long gone. Housing estate now.

Comment

All your boxes are good. To be honest I find the reverse of the box just as interesting as the obverse.

The ones to watch out for are the so called later issue examples. Those with brown papers wrapped around a white box. Whilst many are genuine there are sadly many fakes to special forces and aircrew. Take care.

Comment

some more to add to the list ~

Empty ~ ww2 box.

name & address ~ L.C.CLARKEROSE COTTAGE BRUNSWICK PARK RD.,WEDNESBURY
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice box to the Royal Engineers. If you edit your posts above to include the details on the reverse of the box, I be able to help you with some research.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                      Very nice box to the Royal Engineers. If you edit your posts above to include the details on the reverse of the box, I be able to help you with some research.
                      sorry these are not my boxes, ive just started collecting sets and i want to keep a record of all empty ww2 postal boxes i come across so i dont get fooled into buying a fake/sellers made set if these boxes pop up for sale again.

i will post my collection up in the next few weeks any research on my collection would be great
                      Last edited by redline09; 08-30-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Empty ~ box ww2

name & address - HB ASHLEY,6 THURLBY RD WEMBLEY MIDDLESEX

(only photo of this box)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post

The ones to watch out for are the so called later issue examples. Those with brown papers wrapped around a white box. Whilst many are genuine there are sadly many fakes to special forces and aircrew. Take care.

+ thanks for the info, the only other thing i really know about sets is that slim boxes were used for 2 medals or less & large boxes were for 3 medals or more.

Comment

Empty ~ ww2 box, naval issue

info ~

Mr A. J. Leete, c/o 39 Cameroy House, Glyrden Road, Camberwell, London, SE5

and additionally "JX368193" on the side of the box,
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
                              sorry these are not my boxes, ive just started collecting sets and i want to keep a record of all empty ww2 postal boxes i come across so i dont get fooled into buying a fake/sellers made set if these boxes pop up for sale again.

i will post my collection up in the next few weeks any research on my collection would be great
                              I appreciate what you are trying to do here but as all standard stars are the same who is to say whether a full box has been made up or not. Also if you were to find a box with one missing would it be wrong to put the correct star back in, ie if the Africa Star was missing and you put a real one back in would the group then be fake or restored? A local dealer to me has quite a few empty boxes and part boxes where stars have been sold individually over the years, a real shame but as these groups were relatively low value in the past it happened quite a lot.
                              I'm not into medals at all but it was just a thought that came to me when reading this thread.
                              Lee

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X