No announcement yet.

empty box thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding un-named medals to groups is a debate that has raged for years.

I dont have too much of a problem of additions to groups as long as it can be PROVEN that those were the awards granted. As neither the WW2 RAF, Army or Royal Navy medal entitlement is available to the public in any capacity (only to next of kin) I very much doubt any dealer can prove that said man was awarded those medals.

In the case of those dealers who do have empty boxes in stock who is to say that the entitlement slips are in the correct box?

Its a very slippery slope but it doesnt stop the dealers from selling these groups, just take a look around at the fairs for all those WW2 groups with the ribbons stapled to card infront of one named medal. Just because said unit qulaified for this and that star it doesnt mean that man was with that one unit for the duration of the war. How can you prove it, answer is you cannot unless there is original paper work.

Comment

I was aware that some older groups had been made up and also things like the GPR group mentioned recently. I was only thinking really about WW2 groups that come with a slip etc but with one ot two gaps but I suppose that even these could be complete fiction if someone has ticked extra boxes on the slip. Always an advantage if the box comes with other items, Paybook etc.
      Like you I don't have too much of a problem with a gap being filled with the correct medal but I suppose this could open up a whole can of worms with 'ordinary' groups being attributed to special forces, gallantry actions etc.
      I think I'll stick to uniforms
      Lee

Comment

The problem with the paybook is it only lists the 39-45 Star.........is is rare to find the other campaign stars mentioned. The last page of the Soldiers Release Book may provide indication of where the soldier served(if the commanding officer could be bothered to write it). Even if this last page is marked BAOR (British Army of the Rhine) it doesn't automatically mean this man was present for D Day.

Most WW2 soldiers didnt have a Red Book...........the stars are mentioned in those if they continued after WW2.

Best way to tell in my opinion is obituary or photographs. Press will print anything so an Obituary isnt a sure fire way either.

If we manage to live into our 80's I am sure all will be revealed with the release of the records!

Comment

i just bought a set and got it today.. defence medal only with award slip and box..... only problem is that the return address is to the air-ministry

ive not been collecting british medals that long but i am pretty sure that the air ministry did not award the defence medals on there own?

(i got the set for less than the going rate of a defence medal, so its ok)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by redline09; 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X