No announcement yet.

Airborne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parachute Training Helmet, Standard Ptn.

Hi Luc

Please find attached the photos I wanted to post on the sorbo helmet.

Note the RAF instructor with Blue/black sorbo with PJI patch with a training section of the SAS. It actually looks like the actual helmet pictured on the forum. This was a popular instructor but his name escapes me.

The other photo is of Ghurka parachute troops aboard a RCAF Dakota with a US member with China/Burma/India patch. If I recall right, they are taking part in a training jump or an actual jump in Operation Dracula against Rangoon.

Note the type of sorbo helmet in question is being worn. This is the "Feathers" type shown dated 1942 ( there are other makers as well of these types dated 1942 ). I have yet to see this type of training helmet being worn at Ringway from 1942-1945. I have only seen this "Non panel" type of helmet being worn in the Far East.

Thanks for posting Luc!

Regards

Ken

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
    Posting two pictures from Ken, to illustrate his comments made earlier.

Luc

Comment

Thanks Luc and Ken.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Good stuff Ken,

I have never seen an RAF bungee helmet before, does anyone have one they can provide a few pictures of?... I can supply some pictures of my standard one if someone would like to post them?

Cheers,

Originally posted by force136 View Post
        Hi Luc

Please find attached the photos I wanted to post on the sorbo helmet.

Note the RAF instructor with Blue/black sorbo with PJI patch with a training section of the SAS. It actually looks like the actual helmet pictured on the forum. This was a popular instructor but his name escapes me.

The other photo is of Ghurka parachute troops aboard a RCAF Dakota with a US member with China/Burma/India patch. If I recall right, they are taking part in a training jump or an actual jump in Operation Dracula against Rangoon.

Note the type of sorbo helmet in question is being worn. This is the "Feathers" type shown dated 1942 ( there are other makers as well of these types dated 1942 ). I have yet to see this type of training helmet being worn at Ringway from 1942-1945. I have only seen this "Non panel" type of helmet being worn in the Far East.

Thanks for posting Luc!

Regards

Ken

Comment

Since we are on the topic of bungee helmets, does anyone know of any decent reference books on the subject? Please click on the link provided and comment. I have seen his one for sale for quite some time. I have my thoughts on this one, however, I would like to hear other collectors views on his particular helmet.

http://www.trenchratmilitaria.com/vi...h=50096&phqu=5

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X