Airborne Recognition scarf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelle View Post
    Both are different from my 1941 courtaulds scarf and from other courtauld made ecsamples I have seen.But was courtald the only manufacturer?I have seen others but am not sure of there originallity.As these are reproduced in the past and today I would not touch one that is unmarked.But all this does not mean these are not ww2,sadly the opposit is also treu.
    I picked up six a while ago from a house clearance and none of them was marked in any way. Will try to post a pic
    Lee

Comment

ID Panel

Not a scarf fellows a recognition panel for ground to ground and ground to air recognition. It was also used in training to denote opposing forces as well.

I have two examples in my book. One came from Stephen Fochuk locally here in Ottawa and came from a Canadian Engineer you found it in the Arnhem area. It is exactly like the first one posted here without any markings. There is also posted a panel typically issued to 1CPB with a brown mercerized cotton binding opposed to the off white. It is marked Courtaulds 1944.

Yes there are a lot of repro's around and frankly, speaking as a collector and not a reinactor, those assholes should mark them as such. They only ruin it for everyone. Esp. when dealing with somthing so easy to reproduce. You will have to compare the stitching, cut etc. type of thread to be dead sure on the unmarked types. Some are a golden yellow colour while some have a greenish tinge to the yellow rayon/nylon. Again, like the toggle rope, used by airborne troops but NOT an airborne specific item of kit.

Ken

Originally posted by Old Smelly View Post
      I picked up six a while ago from a house clearance and none of them was marked in any way. Will try to post a pic
      Lee

Comment

Originally posted by force136 View Post

Some are a golden yellow colour while some have a greenish tinge to the yellow rayon/nylon.

Ken
        I believe they also were produced in blue and pink too
        Lee

Comment

Does anyone have a ballpack price I would have to pay for an original scarf?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X