WWII British 1st Airborne patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allan & Ade,

thank you both for spending all the time and effort on the flashes I posted, the information is of coarse very welcome for future use.
    It is a pity the first set are not even issued patches, I guess they got me again...

The second patch came from Australia last year. I didn't expect that one to be real for the amount I payed for it so that one isn't such a big deal.

I had a look at your mate's website; those patches look convincingly real!!
    What I appreciate most is that he is honest on saying they are reproductions, unlike the guy who sold me the first set I showed you as genuine WW2 patches...

regards,

DJ

Comment

Hi guys,

I just picked up a nice 'Airborne', curved shoulder title from a broken up collection. They wanted 1 pound for it so I took it incase.
      If anyone wants to post the pic for me, that would be great.
      Would be very interested to hear your opinions

All the best

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

If that is real, it's a very nice find!

Send the picture to me deadlydelta@hotmail.com and I'll post it for you

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Posting for Rob:

"Here are some pics of the title that I made today, (I just recieved it thismorning with a few other bits of RAF insignia.) At top is a pic with my camera which I thought showed the colour more accurately. (very hard to portray the colour it looks in real life. More maroon)In the middle are scans from my scanner (which came out very dark, almost black)And on the bottom are two close ups of the embroidery/stitching for yourscrutinisation.

I have no idea about these titles, and what a good one should look like.
          If its a good repro or postwar, then I suppose I got my moneys worth :-)"

Comment

Hi Rob,

I quite like your shoulder title except it is not a variation I have seen before. The type font of the letters looks good, the construction looks good, and they look similar to what you might call a wartime shoulder title. The only thing I don't really like is the way the black backing covers the letters. It reminds me of the first set of pegasus patches posted on this thread. But hey that might not mean anything! I think you could be onto a winner here...

Anyway, good find!

I have a pair of curved "AIRBORNE" shoulder titles myself. I only bought them last weekend except they didn't cost a pound . Here is one for comparison.

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Reverse.

Comment

Detail.

Comment

Looking at it again Rob I think I'd give it a

So well done!

Comment

Hi Guys, nice titles

You did very well Rob! I like to see nice, thick, well formed letters.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks very much Jack for posting the pic ,
                      And thanks Jack and Ade for both of your input on it.
                      It was amongst an odd assortment of insignia that was owned by a WW2 RAF Veteran, who began collecting British 2nd World War Memorabilia during the War and directly after it. (1940's until the 1960's.)
                      The 2nd Pattern Denison I posted in 'Pics of Wartime Denisons' post, was from the same Vets collection. Could be from the same grouping possibly.
                      There were about 100 bits of insignia from his collection on offer and I grabbed about 10 pieces, all RAF except for this one.

The black backing appears to be almost like a crepe paper and is peeling off at one side. Underneath you can see the back of the stitching.

I wonder if 'Black Paper backed' is another possible Wartime variation perhaps?

Just for interests sake what does a Wartime Pegasus Patch go for these days?

All the best

Rob

Comment

And congratulations on your Airborne Titles Jack,
                        I like them a lot

All the best
                        Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

Nice little find Rob!

The price of a pegasus patch varies enormously depending on whether it is printed or embroidered, what condition it is in, if it has any provenance, and who is selling it. As you probably know all British Airborne related militaria is highly sought after and the price of these things can change very rapidly.

As a rough guide, I aim to pay at the most £25-30 for a single printed example and slightly less for an embroidered example. Of course a matching pair is more sought after and will demand a premium. I've seen matching printed pairs from anything like £50 to £80. I sold a matching pair of embroidered about a year back for £50. The embroidered pegasus patches are much less desirable as they were not used as much as the printed type.

There is no rule about the price though. I once had a nice printed pegasus patch at a militaria fair for a £5 and then at a later date, a pair of embroidered pegasus patches for £20. These are ideal prices for me .

Hope this helps, from Jack.
                          Last edited by Jack Dutton; 06-04-2004, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Jack,
                            Thanks for the info on Pegasus Patches.
                            Im going to try to find a single wartime embroidered pegasus patch to put with the Airborne title.
                            If you spot one in your travels I would love to hear about it

All the best

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X