No announcement yet.

seaforth highlanders sporran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a rather sad situation Scrooge. None of my business but I think its worth thinking about that lady.

These pieces of kit are usaully handed down, so it makes perfect sense to have two names on the reverse. The McDonald also served in the same Battalion and also served overseas. I wonder if he became a casualty?

Comment

From what I have gathered in regards to sporrans of the Irish Regiment of Canada, these were property of the Regiment and reissued. It is not all that uncommon to see them with more than one name on them. To me it seems that this sporran was originally issued to McDonald and then reissued to the other fellow.

Taking note of what Yellow posted about the death of the one fellow... died in 1942 at age 39, he would have been too young to serve in the First World War, however he may well have been issued the sporran as a pre World War Two soldier, then transfered to the RA where he was killed.

The key here IMO is to trace both soldiers using their service number and name.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X